Saturday, August 27, 2022

Listen Live at Your Own Peril

 


I'm listening to a broadcast of a sporting event right now.

You see, here's the thing about play-by-play: it's not brain surgery.

It's literally a job that involves reporting. It requires accuracy. It involves explaining and enlightening and even educating. It also involves a little entertaining.

The best -- in my opinion -- combine those fundamentals with excellent storytelling and a pleasant personality.

But, again, it's a reporting job.

This broadcast lacks that.

You see, in our current world, there are many broadcasts that I would call a hybrid. It's on video, sure, but there's also an audio element. Much like I did with the Renegades last year and I'm always doing on Local Live (because there's usually a Robcasting simulcast).

So my goal is to report the details, If it's baseball -- which, not surprisingly, what I'm listening to -- then it's pitch location, defensive setup, where the ball is hit, etc. All of these details matter. You're creating an image in the mind of your listener. Yes, your TV/video stream viewer can likely see that but you've got to keep the audio listeners in mind.

And anything on the field or about the team isn't "we" to me. Or "us." The only "we" and "us" are things like if I've traveled with the team to a site: "We were on the bus today to start the trip just before noon."

But there's such a perverse desire to be edgy and viral and it hurts the details.

Anyone can handle the viral moments. They can handle the highlights. It's the mundane that I want to hear. Can you call the game, provide the details, be engaging, and not make it about yourself?

Then you might be of interest.

What I'm listening to is full of things I teach students to not do: fake voice, minimal details, "we" and "us," and not speaking clearly and concisely.

Everything screams "listen to me! I'm funny! I'm likable!"

A strike out should be simple: "Swung on and missed and he's down on strikes. One out in the ninth."

Instead, it's "Get 'em outta here, bay beee."

The analyst tried to eventually chime in but as that happened the next batter drove a ball to the outfield that was picked off. 

Don't ask me which outfielder. I couldn't tell you.

Be clear. Be concise.

Don't exaggerate.

Don't be too colloquial. These players aren't necessarily your friends. This is still, after all, your vocation. That's what a broadcaster is supposed to be, in theory. It's supposed to be a job.

The tying run is now at the plate after a wild pitch brought in a run. At least I think that's what happened. 

But, seconds later, a fly ball was lifted to end the game. Again, I think so.

"We win. We had the game's only error but it didn't come back to bite us."

"We" win.

Listeners lose.

Instead of blocking anyone who criticizes you (guess what? It's going to get blazing hot if you keep climbing that ladder) maybe accept the criticism of peers and be better as a result.

As an industry, we want to root for you. 

Make it easier for us to do that.

But, for now?

Get out of here bay beee.



No comments: