Saturday, March 07, 2015

After Two Games


We called two hockey games on HAN Radio today: the Connecticut girls hockey championship and the FCIAC boys hockey crown.

The girls game ended, sadly, in a 2-2 tie after two overtimes.

Yep. You read that correctly. I'm still annoyed for those girls, none of which I know, from towns I don't know very well. Simsbury and the cop-op team of East Catholic/Glastonbury/South Windsor deserved a better fate.

In the second game, the Greenwich Cardinals fell to the Darien Blue Wave, 5-3.

That, friends, is eight periods of hockey. It doesn't make me a hero.

I walked into Terry Conners Rink in Stamford a little after 11:30 this morning. It's now past seven.

I'm not complaining, of course. I love calling games more than anything else I do.

But right now, I'm wiped out. Six games in the past week, a website to maintain, multiple radio shows to do, and lots more. Sometimes I just need a break.

Again, I'm not complaining, but I'd hope for a little slack if I fumble the ball.

It was good to see my old WGCH colleagues: Sean Kilkelly and John Spang. Great guys and great friends.

Anyway, in a confluence of events, the other guys on the crew today needed to leave for one reason or another, leaving me as the lone guy to pack up.

I'm packed, but I'm just too burned out to leave. Plus it feels good to sit down.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Many more games to call.

No comments: