Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Huey Setlist (and the Review)


Just in case you were wondering, this is what the boys played on a few weeks ago at Bethel Woods (to the best of my feeble memory):

The Heart of Rock and Roll
(She's) Some Kind of Wonderful
Respect Yourself
I Want a New Drug/Small World
Doing it All For My Baby
Jacob's Ladder
Little Bitty Pretty One
Perfect World
Heart and Soul
But It's Alright
We're Not Here For a Long Time, We're Here For a Good Time

The Power of Love
Working For a Living

As for the show, It's a different era, for sure.  When I went to my first HLN show, in 1985, I walked to the gate with a camera in my hand.  I got told to take it back to the car by security.

Now?  Come on in!  (So long as you don't have changeable lenses).  Heck, put them up online - we encourage it!

The band still has great energy and sound fantastic.  If you've never seen them, you should.  It's a fun show, even if it was only about an hour and a half.  The downside was that they can't play everything because, believe it or not, there are a lot of familiar songs. 

Joe Cocker was a pleasure to see.  He played his hits (some of them, of course, covers of The Beatles).  For me it was a thrill to see an original Woodstock performer doing the songs he played there in 1969.  By the way, he looked like this then...
Now, personally, after seeing Huey Lewis (who several felt should have been the latter act, but I digress), I could have left.  But Lisa firmly denied that we would be departing (of course, she didn't have to go to work the next day either!).  Still I'm glad I stayed.  Cocker was good, playing songs that we all know.  Granted, it was a different energy than Huey and News brought, but good music is still good music.

Bethel Woods has earned a reputation for being a beast to get out of, but Lisa and I moved swiftly to our car after Joe Cocker's awkward ending (it just didn't seem like the show should be over, with a lesser-known tune and a show that was only about an hour long).  We were soon out onto New York Route 17B and off and running.

Some have said they won't go back to Bethel Woods because of the traffic woes, but as far as we're concerned, we are two for two (having seen Lady Antebellum back in June).

No comments: