Friday, August 03, 2012

A Little MTV Blast from the Past

With MTV's anniversary passing earlier this week, I thought it would be fun to post this recording of the network from 1983.  Of course, there's an anterior motive, and you can find that right around this 7:45 mark (just after Night Ranger).

You guessed it.  Huey Lewis and the News, doing "Heart and Soul." 



Now (spoken in my "Casey Kasem" voice), you might not know that Huey and the News weren't the first to record the song.  Indeed, the song was originally recorded by the band Exile, who had a huge hit with "Kiss You All Over", in 1978.  The band performed "Heart and Soul" from the album of the same name.  Their version seems to lack the rock edge that HLN added to it for the Sports album in 1983.  "Heart and Soul" peaked at number 102 on the Billboard chart in 1981 for Exile.


I might have mentioned that Lisa and I will be seeing HLN on Sunday night.  I have to admit that I'm getting pretty excited for my first show with the boys since 2005.

Which leaves me with just one question:

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?


Little, tiny factual error.  Fore came out in 1986 and not in 1987.  But we digress.

No comments: