Sunday, July 08, 2012

What's not "Breaking" and Other Linky Dinks

A few random thoughts as I wait to begin my vacation...

I've belonged to a couple of text distribution lists for so-called "breaking news."  Specifically, ESPN, LoHud (the Journal News) and CBS-New York.

Folks need to go back to the drawing board to figure out what's breaking.  Edward R. Murrow is spinning in his grave.

See, here's the thing.  With ESPN, they're going to give you stuff that is related to them at the Worldwide Leader.  For instance, they'll let you know that a soccer quarterfinal is starting on their airwaves in about 20 minutes (yawwwwNNNNNNN...ZZZZZzzzzzzzz).  Or Wimbledon, which they now air.  On the plus side, they'll also send you final scores of your teams and other such stuff.  But quite often their version of breaking news is lame.

That leads me to LoHud.  Oh boy, I can't wait for another text on whether or not alcohol was found in the body of the ex-wife of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.  Or an accident on the Hutch (somewhat useful, I would say). 

I guess I'm from a different era.  The mere sound of the "breaking news" stinger theme interrupting a show could - and still does - reduce me to chills.  What could be happening?  Something related to the President?  Our safety?  What?

And then...nothing.

Listen to the NBC theme music that begins this montage.  Yikes.


The rest of the montage is interesting as well.

We know the deal: networks (and newspapers and tv and radio stations) are all out to be the one to break a story.  But my god, make sure it's legit!  My old News Director at WGCH, Jim Thompson, had a couple of carts (like 8 track tapes) lined up.  They had varying degrees of audio on them, including "special report" and "BULLETIN" (which was only to be used in case of war or something severe).

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Bottom line, I've backed off of those text lists.  I was able to change what I receive.  We'll see how it goes.

Elsewhere...Behind the Steel Curtain wishes a happy 79th birthday to the Pittsburgh Steelers, founded on this day in 1933.

Look at the clown in the red Red Sox jersey at the top of this post from Chad Jennings on the LoHud Yankees blog.  The Sox have yet to beat the Yankees this year (though they did win that game last night) and this moron is giving it to Phil Hughes.  Says a lot about fans, doesn't it?  Not just in Boston, but Philly, New York, and elsewhere.  Sadly, a lot of bad fans are out there.

I mentioned my friend Gretchen, who just celebrated her 10th wedding anniversary with her husband Michael.  She put up a bunch of pictures from their wedding in front of the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.  Scroll down for a group shot that includes a lady holding a four-month baby named Sean, and Sean's dad.  Flashback!

I'm happy that the Renegades are back on the radio, as they have landed on WKIP in Poughkeepsie.  Ken McMillan has the news.

And there's bridge work going on in Richmond.  Who better to document it from an historical point of view than Jon?

OK, time to hit the road!  See ya!

No comments: