Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Five Fab Four Songs

When Don Imus has guests on his show, he asks the for their five favorite songs. Imus himself often picks five favorites for the week or day. In one case, it was five favorite Beatles songs.

To that end, our friend Coach, of Coach's Corner, picked his ten favorite Beatles songs.

So I asked Sean Adams, noted eight year-old Beatles fan, for his five. They were not really surprising:

- Yellow Submarine
- Octopus's Garden
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
- Back in the U.S.S.R.
- Eleanor Rigby

Fairly typical, especially for him. As for his dad (on this day...they can easily change):

- Day Tripper - One of Paul's best rockers. Great guitar work by George.
- I Am the Walrus - John wanted to create a song of nonsense that couldn't be performed live. He succeeded.
- Got To Get You Into My Life (or I Should Have Known Better) - One of really about drugs. The other is pure love (which can be like a drug). Both are addicting. The line "I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find..." from "Got to Get You Into My Life speaks to me of a ride I took a few months back that had nothing to do with drugs.
- Help - John regretted how this song of crying out turned so upbeat. I think it's some of his best work. It's like the Mona Lisa - serious and smiling.
- Helter Skelter - OK, so it's become associated with the Manson "family." Whatever. It can take a purely lame moment and make it rock.

That's what comes to my mind this morning. How about you?

No comments: