Tuesday, December 04, 2007

StephenASmithInTheHouse Doesn't Like Me!

OK, well maybe not me personally, but my "type." You know - bloggers.

In a chat with Los Angeles Daily News' Tom Hofarth, StephenA (remember, it's all one word) said:
"Therefore, there's a total disregard, a level of wrecklessness that ends up being a domino effect. And the people who suffer are the common viewers out there and, more importantly, those in the industry who haven't been fortunate to get a radio or television deal and only rely on the written word. And now they've been sabotaged. Not because of me. Or like me. But because of the industry or the world has allowed the average joe to resemble a professional without any credentials whatsoever."
Whoa! Hold on a minute! I'm technically a professional, right? I mean, almost 20 years in the media, play-by-play voice for about 15 years or so (going back to my days as the "voice" of the PM/KF Intramural Softball League), and I've written for print outlet or two (or maybe just one, I don't remember) - that counts as a professional with credentials, eh? Yet my credential consists of two laminated pictures that we made at WGCH several years ago, but I guess that's legit, right?

Anyway, yes in theory, Mr. StephenASmithIntheHouse is right - there are a lot of bad bloggers out there. But then again, there are a lot of irresponsible journalists out there as well. It's not you need a license to be a blogger, so I think it will just continue this way. In fact, you technically don't need a license to broadcast anymore (we needed one when I first started).

No comments: