Saturday, March 18, 2023

The Power Adaptor

This is the best I have to represent today.

 

I often yell at people for being "too nice."

Of course, I often get yelled at for being too nice as well.

So, today, I did what I felt was right. 

Sean went back to his mother's on Wednesday, giving me some time in an empty apartment. It's a double-edged sword that swings between loneliness and freedom.

He waited until this morning to come back because he now serves as a studio operator for a Saturday show on WGCH. He also has some production duties.

Well, he left Dutchess County nice and early and made his way down the Taconic Parkway to Greenwich. The show begins at 9 a.m.

Except, he got there and found out that the show was pre-recorded. He wasn't needed for it. He could have waited and come down a little later to do the production work. Instead, he got that done and texted me to say he was on his way.

He was slightly miffed, just as I was for thinking I'd be doing "Doubleheader" on Friday until I discovered that the station would be running the UConn NCAA tourney basketball game.

Now, we'll ignore that I've been the sports director for almost 23 years and it would sort of be on my watch to discuss that. So it goes.

But now Sean was back with me and we'd do our thing. We needed stuff in the apartment so a Wegmans run was on the agenda.

You might know that for Sean, just as with me, computers are pretty important.

So he grumbled to me that he rushed out of his mother's house this morning without the power adaptor for his laptop.

Full disclosure: I did the same Wednesday night for "The Clubhouse" but I had enough battery power to survive. No harm.

We looked up how much buying him an adaptor would be. It was obnoxious but we thought maybe Best Buy might have a solution.

So, following a grocery store run, we headed to Best Buy in Norwalk.

And the prices were as feared.

At this point, a parent has the decision to make. It can be...

1) Have fun driving the hour back to your mother's.

2) Hop in and I'll drive you.

3) Tough luck. Figure it out. Which, admittedly, is kind of part of 1) so I guess this is a stretch.

Friends, you can see where this is going. I went with 2).

Away we went. Up US 7 out of Norwalk, through the delightful little burgh of Wilton, and onto Danbury, where our duo stopped for a lunch of sandwiches at the mall. Then onward into New York.

At his mother's, a strange car sat in the driveway. Sean's power adaptor waited on the front porch. 

We departed as quickly as we arrived.

We moved on, to coffee near our beloved Mahopac and another grocery store stop for water. Then straight onto home.

Yes, I'm the nice guy dad in this case. But it also kept us from sitting at home all day.

Considering I had no work lined up, this felt like the right thing to do. 

Oh, and Sean bought me a cookie at lunch to thank me. 

All good. 

I had no desire to do this today. I wanted to get my calendar aligned finally to see what spring is bringing. I decided that could wait until we returned.

So, to that end, I've lined up Brunswick baseball and lacrosse. I've pondered if there are Greenwich baseball and softball games that I can add in. I've also slotted some Renegades games where I'll do public address announcing again.

But never doubt that I'm a play-by-play guy and that's going to get priority.

Baseball: next Saturday. 

Finally.

No comments: