Saturday, March 04, 2023

The Hired Gun

 

Monroe-Woodbury High School

Today was a day.

Thanks to the potential for nasty weather in New York, today went from four games, since I couldn't do all five, to being able to do all five.

First was Boomslang in their playoff game against a team called Born Leaders.

That was the easiest part of the day. Armed with an egg and cheese and coffee, I went to Hartsdale, called the game, and prepared to move on. Sadly, Boomslang lost so their winter season came to an end.

So far, the weather wasn't much of an issue.

Then I made the drive from Hartsdale to Central Valley, NY where I would now call all four Section IX basketball championships.

This is where being the "voice for hire" can be dicey. I'm meeting people for the first time. It's a limited chance to make a good impression. Something like stumbling over a word can be deadly as I always want the option to return.

I arrived with sufficient time to steady myself before the first game -- a Class B girls matchup between Red Hook and Chester.

Then I heard talk that I was filling for the color commentator.

If you don't know, the booth has two main participants: the play-by-play announcer, who describes the details of the game, and the color commentator (or the analyst) who handles the finer points.

While I've done some color, it's been years -- like 23 or so -- since I think I've done a full basketball game. However, given the number of games I've worked solo, I've been in both parts. 

Yet, let's be honest, I'd say even most of you would consider me a play-by-play announcer.

Well I was ultimately given the play-by-play responsibility for that first game, which turned out to be a double-overtime dandy.

But I wound up on color for the second. Now, here's the thing. What good does it do to become a diva?  The answer is "none" so I simply said "whatever works" and did color.

And I was exactly what I thought I'd be. I was OK. I was nothing special.

Great analysts are John Madden and others who know the sports intimately while being a little entertaining.

I tried. I know I didn't set the world on fire.

I returned to play-by-play for the final two games.

In the end, who knows if they liked me? I think they appreciated my professionalism and willingness to do whatever they asked me to do. I gathered they didn't know a whole lot about my past and, honestly, why would they, unless someone told them?

I'm no celebrity.

I mentioned a few things in passing to let them know that I was no rookie but, in the end, it's all subjective. I was there for almost nine hours and took part in four game broadcasts.

It's fair to say I did my best although sometimes my best isn't always good enough. I'm not sure I was my sharpest and that's the danger in a one-off opportunity like this.

The broadcasts ended, I did whatever I could to help pack up, and walked out with my colleagues for the day. With that, I said goodbye, departing as a stranger in a strange land.

Will there be a next time? Who knows?

I'm back home having not had any problems with weather and grateful for four more broadcasts.

But I'm only counting four since that's what I did play-by-play on.

No comments: