Friday, March 31, 2023

Rob. Zombie.

 

Not actually a photo of me. But close.

Greetings, friends, readers, and denizens of "Exit 55" land.

I begin scrawling on our little island of misfit toys at 3:34 a.m. on this particular Friday morning.

Because I'm an idiot.

I haven't done much in the video deposition world recently. In fact, I've been broadcasting, teaching, and conference moderating, as well as hosting the vastly overlooked but brilliant Hunt Scanlon podcast, "Talent Talks" for over a month.

So when I was offered a deposition job earlier and told it was a night one, I thought I should jump in. My logic was sound.

I must admit my eyes raised when I saw the login time was 9:30 p.m., and the case wouldn't begin until 10:30 p.m.

I know how to handle these night jobs! I'm the master of them! I used to drive into Greenwich from Mahopac to do them, stumbling home around five in the morning. But those jobs tended to start around 7 p.m.

Still, I tried to be smart tonight. While I probably could use a trip to the grocery store, instead I took a walk into town (exercise!), grabbed pizza (forget said exercise!), and then put my head down for over three hours.

I actually rested. I slept. Some. The grocery store can wait.

Then I was reminded of what awaits me here on this Friday morning in the year of Babe Ruth 2023.

I said yes to appearing on "Melissa in the Morning" on WICC radio at 7:05. Yes, 7:05 a.m. Oh, and I'll be on WGCH with Tony Savino (as I've done on Fridays for 14 years) at 7:50 a.m.

Perhaps -- maybe -- I will sleep for a few hours around 8 a.m.

Like, what was I thinking?

I know, I know. I can already hear Chris Kaelin chiming in and saying, "Sleep is overrated."

He's not wrong, given what little restful sleep I get.

I keep telling myself to just fight through today. Then I can sleep tonight before going to lacrosse tomorrow. I'll be on the call as Deerfield plays Brunswick in a battle of two of the top 19 teams in the country.

I was also going to do baseball but, 1) it might get rained out, and 2) the lax game is huge. I loved the challenge of bouncing between the two but I respect what I am asked to do.

I've done OK staying away so far and monitoring what my body is saying. I've stayed hydrated and have had a small bite to eat.

Sean showed up around midnight after hanging out with his friends for the evening. I helped put some fresh sheets on the bed (I'm also domesticated!) and we were talking when he discovered it was 12:45 a.m.

"I'm going to bed," he announced. He was gone in a flash.

Still, I've been wide awake, having only had a cup of coffee around 11 p.m.

The court case took a lunch break (the witness is overseas) at 2:45 a.m. I was told we had 40 minutes off. So I asked my dear friend Alexa to set a 40-minute timer. 

I rested and, again, fell asleep. A brief catnap, if you will. Yes, The Cat was nearby. I sprung off the top of my bed when Alexa sounded her alarm. The Cat was not amused and scurried away.

And here I am. They're back on the record, blissfully taking testimony and I'm actually struggling for the first time tonight to stay awake. But that's the rhythm of these jobs. 

Earlier in the evening I bounced between baseball games on MLB.tv. I trolled the internet a bit to see what nonsense the interwebs is producing. Oh, there's news about a former president? You don't say? Someone should post some memes about it.

Blech.

If we're somehow done early enough, I have an alarm set for 6:45 a.m. before the WICC radio appearance. I will try to sleep again.

So if you want to hear a zombie make not one but two radio interview appearances, I highly recommend you tuning to WICC at 7:05 and WGCH and 7:50.

Ostensibly I'm supposed to talk about UConn men's basketball and Quinnipiac hockey and some baseball as well.

But who knows exactly what condition I will be in.

Tape it! Send it to me! 

And let it serve as a reminder to think before I say yes to these kinds of things!

No comments: