Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Baseball and Music: Let's Make Spring Rock

 

Photo: Greenwich Diamond Club on Facebook

I'm flailing.

I watch what's going on and it concerns me. Saddens me.

I read the following quote regarding the Japanese play-by-play of last night's World Baseball Classic final out: 

"The best baseball announcing in the world right now is being done in Japan.

"As American announcers, we need to revitalize the art with the passion on full display here. Let’s get away from the corporate board room model and embrace a purer expressionism."

Look, the Japanese call was fun in that it was passionate and I'm all for that. I'm cautious about the yelling and screaming part but, hey, that was huge. I get it. You've certainly heard me go over the top in certain spots (and I admit it kind of embarrasses me).

But there are plenty of American announcers who have passion and energy (Joe Davis on FOX also did a passionate call last night). The person who authored this quote wants narcissism. Viral narcissism.

Otherwise, he's utterly clueless about what goes into play-by-play broadcasting.

OK, so yeah, I'm flailing here.

I'm taking a shot at putting some Greenwich High softball and baseball on WGCH and/or Robcasting. Maybe other things if I have time.

I should say I'm doing this when I don't have a conflict with Brunswick. I'm committed to a schedule of Wick baseball and lacrosse but I do firmly believe that WGCH should be carrying more than just the football games we do every fall. I wanted more hockey and basketball and that didn't happen.

Once again, it takes advertising to make this happen. WGCH isn't going to do it for fun. This is part of my ability to pay my bills.

So, yes, I want more WGCH. I want more Brunswick. I want more Local Live. I want more state-level games. I want more college games.

If there was minor or (dare I say) a pro team that wanted me around then I'd want that too.

You've seen this movie before. Kevin Halpenny used to think I was nuts to be willing to drive to Milford, PA or Poughkeepsie or Port Jervis, NY or Scranton or whatever else. I think I've convinced him otherwise. He knows my love of this and, if anything, he now encourages it.

Well, here I am, flailing away for these games. Flailing to get the coverage they deserve and the games that I enjoy.

We have a few days in March and then April and May with a touch of June. I'd like to be exhausted by then with a slate of American Legion, Little League, and Babe Ruth in the summer.

But it starts with the town wanting to support these broadcasts on WGCH.

This is the town's own radio station. The Greenwich St. Patrick's Day Parade was last Sunday and we should have broadcast it. Sean and I were both home and could have easily hosted the coverage like we used to do. OK, so that's been addressed and, maybe it returns to the radio for 2024.


The Greenwich Town Party is also supposed to be back on our air this May. It will be different.

The lineup was announced today and it's not the standard "headliner" at the end of the night. Remember, it was Billy Joel last year who lit up Roger Sherman Baldwin Park with a hit-filled show. I will long remember it as one of my absolute favorite concert experiences because I could walk home, I had loved ones around, and the music was unreal.

It was truly special.

This year will still have great music, led by Town Party stalwarts Preservation Hall Jazz Band. They have blown the stars out of the sky each time they've played the GTP. This time, they'll star in what's being themed as a "New Orleans Music Festival."

The GTP is truly about music and family. They turned on the stage lights and the microphones and Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Steely Dan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and each prior great act rocked the night away. It's not an "extravaganza" so the Taylor Swift's of the world likely aren't coming here unless they tame their act a bit.

Believe me, a set of just her music would probably be dynamite.

Of course, there's that McCartney guy that I would prefer.

I know there's some grumbling among people today about the show. Have faith in the music because it will move you. As a jazz fan, I'm into it. Sean and I both plan to be there again, hosting the radio portion of the day. You'll likely spot us lugging an equipment case to and from the park.

You know what they say in N'awlins, right? 

"Laissez les bons temps rouler."

"Let the good times roll."

Oh, and we will.

Hopefully with beignets.

No comments: