Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Noise Canceling

 


It was a little over a year ago when I decided to buy a proper pair of noise-canceling headphones.

At that time, we still lived in the delightful burgh of Mahopac, NY. The bedroom I used for our final few years was just a couple of doors away from Sean's room.

Sean likes to stay up later than I do and chat online with his friends. Sometimes the volume gets slightly elevated but nothing too bad. He's never disrespectful and, overall, I don't mute him.

More so, I knew I had an upcoming trip to London with a seven-hour flight in April 2022. A good pair of headphones would be advantageous.

I had previously bought a pair of "noise canceling" headphones on a whim a few years earlier. They were Beats. Really.

No, they weren't. They were knockoffs. I think they were $20 and I still have them. I knew it was a risk but nothing terrible.

Let's be clear: they had zero noise cancelation.

So as 2022 started I did my usual research. I studied. I analyzed. I tried some wherever I could but, remember, COVID was still a thing so sampling things wasn't always possible.

Ultimately, I ordered a pair of Sony over-the-ear headphones that apparently have a little extra bass to them. I didn't think ordering the top-of-the-line Sony headphones was financially wise so I stepped down slightly. The model I bought was probably a year or two old and, as such, was a lower price.

Immediately, I was dazzled. I wore them to London and back. Same with San Francisco. I also had them on my way to Tampa a few weeks ago. They're pretty comfortable for a long flight. They can also be connected with an auxiliary cable to the in-flight system. As for the noise canceling it was exactly what I was looking for.

The purchase was worth it.

Of course, over-the-ear headphones aren't the best when you're a side sleeper. I tried that a few times and it's just not good.

Eventually, Sean and I moved to Greenwich and our rooms are closer now, with a sliding door separating us. And he still talks to his friends.

Oh yeah, and we have a cat. In fact, in case you're wondering why I didn't close my bedroom door, well, there you go. We have a cat.

All along, as I went through the shopping process for the Sony's, I pondered earbuds. Specifically, I thought about AirPods.

With a successful year of broadcasts, I felt I could afford a pair around the holidays. My logic was solid. I could wear them in bed to help drown out some noise. I'd also have them for other activities where the over-the-ear Sony's might be too big.

Yes, I put a lot of thought into these things.

Once again, I did all of my due diligence. I watched the holiday sales. 

I should also mention I did buy a pair of AirPods via Woot during the summer. I did it when I saw a good deal. I took a chance. They were refurbished.

In fact, I bought them while we were away in North Carolina and they were waiting when we got home.

And they didn't work. 

Woot didn't have a replacement so I got my money back.

This time, I'd buy the real thing. I found a good deal and bought them via Amazon. 


These worked. Even though they're earbuds the noise cancelation is still pretty good. In fact, it's overall excellent.

I've used them quite a bit for a variety of things, including phone calls. I listen to podcasts and music and I can even sleep a bit with them. I carry them in my pocket and can listen to, say, a ballgame while I'm in the grocery store. 

So, yeah, they've been a good investment. They also went to Florida with me and I had them for the flight home.

Both will be available for London and San Francisco and any other adventure in 2023.

I don't use them every night to fight my sleeping woes and I don't wear them for hours at a time. When working in broadcasting and being a music lover, you realize the damage that headphones can do to hearing. So, yes, I'm mindful.

That said, after giving a can of food to Rascal this morning, I climbed back into bed to see if I could get a few hours of sleep. I opted for the AirPods to see if I could curl up and doze off. 

My listening options stretch from the oldies of Arctic Outpost Radio to different channels on SiriusXM. Sometimes it's a super-mellow "sleep" radio station and sometimes it's a classic rock hits station of the 60s and 70s.

My plan wasn't quite working this morning. Oh, the noise canceling had eliminated the buzz of trains and cars rolling by for the most part. As it was around 5:30 a.m. Sean and his friends had long since called it a night so they weren't an issue. I couldn't hear the backup beeps of trucks looking to make deliveries either.

My brain just couldn't settle down.

Then I picked my head up and looked at the floor.

I heard something as clearly as I could.

I smiled. No noise canceling could stop it.

"Meow."

I laughed and returned to an otherwise outside noise-free zone.

No comments: