Saturday, March 11, 2023

Saturday in the Park

 

LECOM Park, Bradenton

It was baseball day for us here in Florida.

Travel -- unless you set and adhere to a strict schedule -- can often be a messy process. Friends asked if I was coming to Florida for spring training and, no, I couldn't really say that was the goal.

It was a goal but it hasn't worked out in regard to having time to go to watch workouts and things like that. I wasn't able to catch up with my friend John Brophy (covering the Yankees) but there will be other years to do so.

However, all hasn't been lost. We went to Bradenton to watch the Pirates and Yankees at corporate named LECOM Park.

Once named McKechnie Field for the manager of the 1925 Pirates, the stadium has hosted baseball since 1923.

Today, it hosted the Adams trio as we sat down the left field line and walked around the park.

I've rarely been to a park where everyone was pretty friendly with minimal smack talk to outsiders. I put that to the test today by donning my pinstriped Bobby Murcer number one 1973 jersey. Instead, I was greeted with "Hello, New York."

But I also have affection for the Buccos back to their 1979 squad and Willie "Pops" Stargell. The three of us perused the team shop for any retro gear but there was nothing quite tempting enough for me. A Pops jersey or a '79 pillbox hat would have been dangerous.

Instead, we opted for chicken fingers in a souvenir batting helmet as our takeaway from the game.

As for the game, well, it was meh. The Pirates hit back-to-back home runs en route to a 3-0 victory. The Yankees didn't send most of their big names given today was a split-squad day, with the "stars" staying back in Tamps for a game against the Phillies.

We drove by Steinbrenner Field on our way to Bradenton. Eventually, we were just a few blocks away from LECOM Park when we pulled into the parking lot of a local business as the stadium doesn't have much in the way of formal parking. The price was affordable and we walked to the stadium.


The day also gave me a chance to drive the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Given its location in Tampa Bay and its stunning views both on and off the bridge, I'd have to say it's my favorite. I last crossed it in 2012. I last drove it in 1995.

The original span of the bridge opened in 1954 and was twinned in 1971. The freighter MV Summit Venture collided with a support column of the bridge on May 9, 1980, causing a collapse and killing 35 people. The original spans were partially demolished, with portions becoming fishing piers and rest areas. 

The current bridge opened in 1987 and is absolutely marvelous.


While we drove by the duo of George M. Steinbrenner Field and Raymond James Stadium heading south, we stopped at "The Boss" on the way back to just sort of take it in. We couldn't get inside nor could we even get to the team store. 

So we strolled the mini Monument Park of retired numbers that stands outside and opined on which numbers we would take down (you likely wouldn't be surprised).

Tomorrow is supposed to be our last full day here though I see some weather concerns for late Monday back in the northeast.

My goal is to not be sleeping on the floor of the Sarasota Bradenton Airport (or staying in a hotel near the airport) that night.

Whatever we didn't get to do will have to wait until a future visit.

No comments: