Saturday, March 25, 2023

Look on the Bright Side

 


So remember how I was prepared to be disappointed?

I was excited to call baseball for the first time in eight months but the forecast didn't look promising.

Still, as of this morning, the only communication I'd had was whether I was awake or not.

At that moment, it was game on!

But a little after 9 a.m. everything changed.

The game -- both games, since it was a doubleheader -- was canceled. To be clear, this was not a postponement. It was a full cancellation. They won't be made up. No games at all.

It's two lost games for the athletes. Selfishly, it's two lost games for me.

But the cancelation came with a blessing and that's the only way to see it.

As I was being told the baseball games were off I was also being asked to call Brunswick's season-opening lacrosse game against St. Sebastian's.

One thing the school had said is that generally speaking if I'm not calling the game then nobody will.  It's a wonderful compliment to receive and I deeply appreciate that confidence in my ability.

I was supposed to be on the baseball game because, in reality, a broadcaster is really needed on that as opposed to lacrosse. All things being equal, a good videographer will project pictures of lacrosse. The game is easier to follow on the video. 

In the case of baseball, it's a different canvas and a broadcaster is really needed to color things in. That applies to any sport but all things being equal, I was better suited for baseball today.

But it was not to be and I was grateful for the lacrosse call. Yet, how was I to prepare? I didn't have 20 hours to create charts and graphs and find out where the third-string goalie for St. Sebastian's would go for a meal and who his favorite teacher is. 

There was no need to panic about any of this.

Instead, I asked Wayne McGillicuddy for rosters. 

Within seconds, I glanced at my email and saw that Bruins coach David Bruce sent me the Brunswick roster. I also soon had the St. Seb's roster via their website. 

All I needed was a scoresheet and I quickly made one up.

I knew I could make it work from there.

The other blessing was that, regardless of rain, it was cold today. I can assure you that while I feel joy anytime I'm calling baseball, losing feeling in extremities is still not fun.

It was 41 degrees with a real feel temperature of 34 when the lacrosse game began.

We even froze in the booth at Cosby Field for lacrosse today but it would have been that much more miserable had I been at the baseball diamond.

Small victories. Blessings.

But I was still in a booth and, despite the lack of heat, equipment and notes all stayed dry. So did I, for that matter.

When the game was over, I was able to pack up, get in my car, and turn the heat on.

Brunswick won the game after being down 3-2 in the first quarter. They then exploded and cruised to a 14-6 victory.

We'll be back with them again next Saturday. Oh, and the baseball team will also be in action. 

Baseball will begin at 1:30. Lacrosse will face off at 3:00.

Do you see where this is going?

Yes, I'll set up equipment at Cosby Field for lacrosse. Then I'll go to the baseball diamond and set up a second broadcast there.

I'll call the baseball game. With a quick postgame, I'll then jump in my car and head back to Cosby Field. While the lacrosse game will start with a camera and crowd mic, it will go without play-by-play until I arrive.

But I'll get there and pick up the call.

You have to be a little crazy to do what we do and I love it.

Bring it on!

No comments: