Monday, March 27, 2023

Share It

The Volpe family -- including Jedi the dog -- had a suite at 
Dutchess Stadium in 2021.

 

The excitement of Anthony Volpe's promotion cruised from Sunday night into the Monday news cycle.

I gave it very little thought to be honest.

Then John Brophy -- who does an outstanding job covering the Tampa Tarpons, the FCL Yankees, and spring training as the Managing Editor for Pinstripe Pros -- tagged me in a tweet.

"@double5 with a couple calls here!"

I took a moment before opening the tweet. Then I watched and listened. Nestled among calls of Volpe's exploits from Somerset along with the voices of John Sterling, Suzyn Waldman, Michael Kay, and David Cone, among others, was me.

It was created and broadcast by MLB Network: the official TV channel of Major League Baseball.

Moments like that are so humbling. Without much fuss, I passed it to a few people.

Chris Erway was effusive, telling me I have to share it with the world.

Oh, the great self-promotion issue.

Obviously, I want people to see and hear these things. Of course, I'd love to have a hiring manager or influencer hear it and say, "We need that guy!"

But I'm also realistic.

Still, I reminded myself that MLB Network didn't just grab some audio of me for the fun of it. In fact, the first audio clip they used wasn't of the moment in the video. It should have matched up with Volpe's game-winning home run against the Brooklyn Cyclones. 

They had to edit my voice into that.

They selected that call.

So who am I to quarrel with that kind of editorial decision?

Perhaps -- maybe -- they liked me. Wouldn't it be great if they really liked me?

Plus, at a quick glance, I spotted a camera shot that was the work of Sean. That makes it even better. I texted him a few minutes ago and he confirmed it was definitely his shot.

I mean, that's pretty fantastic. Sean keeps building his resume and we both get this cool moment of having our work featured on the MLB Network.

But there's that nagging voice inside reminding me that it's not about me. It's about Anthony Volpe. It's about the Renegades. It's about the Somerset Patriots and Scranton-Wilkes Bare RailRiders and the New York Yankees.

But, I recognized I should share it with my world no matter how conflicted I was.

I tried to choose my words carefully as I did as I posted it. I put it on Facebook and Twitter and even my LinkedIn page. I saw MLB Network put it on their Instagram account also but I didn't share it there.

The lesson that I decided to use -- emphasized on LinkedIn and I'll say it here -- is that it's a reminder to keep grinding.

Moments like this are a result of almost 24 years since I called my first game but also of the efforts since 1989 when I started attending CSB (I'm teaching there tomorrow).

The Volpe news and these videos are bittersweet because while I'm profoundly humbled and grateful to be included, there's the downside of not calling minor league baseball this year.

A friend watched the video, texted me, and said, "You fit right in" among the professional voices in there. While those words don't pay the rent it is a great validation for me.

I belong.

The business is cruel, friends, but I guess the takeaway is to be proud. And, also, post it publicly with all humility. That matters. It doesn't happen without Volpe and his teammates of 2021. But it also doesn't happen without Joe Ausanio, Steve Gliner, and everyone at Z93 who trusted me with those broadcasts.

I'm bummed neither of my parents are here to watch it but I know how that works. Even if they have spiritually heard it or seen it I can't share it with them personally and get their reaction. It's just life but I'd be lying if I didn't say it occurred to me today.

I did share it with my sister and two of her sons. I mostly figured nobody else would care that much.

So I choose to tell this tale with the knowledge that it's a huge thrill for me. Honestly, it's a "pinch me" moment.

MLB Network chose my audio. Hell yeah, they did.

So I'm reminded to grab the headset and get back to work.

Keep grinding, friends.

The next broadcast is Saturday.

1 comment:

waldcast said...

Well done..The talent shines through.