Sunday, September 03, 2023

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

 

 Burning Man in Nevada (Photo: Trevor Hughes, USA TODAY)

Let's see, what do we have for you tonight?

- I'm looking for a new binder for the new season. Every couple of years, I have to replace my trusty binder that holds my notes and scorecards throughout the season. I've probably had 10 of them since 1999. However, our visit to Staples here in Greenwich (Riverside) wasn't particularly fruitful. The Staples website, however, says I should go back because I looked in the wrong place apparently.

This is nothing major. I could likely make do with the one I currently have. But I guess I'll be going back to Staples anyway.

- We were going to go from Staples into Stamford to visit Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch since we have a gift card courtesy of our friends at Trumbull Babe Ruth. However, we spotted Sally's Apizza nearby and my eyes widened.

While I've had Pepe's, I've never been to the main location in New Haven. For that matter, I've never been to any of the pizza places New Haven is famous for.

So, yeah, it's inauthentic to some, but we went to Sally's in Stamford anyway. And we've been to Pepe's at Mohegan Sun and in Danbury and Fairfield.

Anyway, what did I think? It was great, just as I've enjoyed Pepe's in the past.

But it isn't better than my favorites (Sal's and Joe and Pat's and others). It was also, as I called it, "Treatza," because it wasn't cheap.

But it was very good and I'd say we will likely be back because we do take our pizza seriously.

That being said, New York pizza is still my thing. 

- I'm watching the Yankees game and my goodness, it's nice. The Bombers have enjoyed their weekend in Houston. No, I'm not delusional. It's fun to watch, no question.

Yes, Jasson Dominguez hit a clutch home run to put them in control tonight, but I have no intention of erecting a statue yet. Nobody is going to retire his number or carve the plaque for Monument Park. There isn't a "Yankeeography" in the works yet. 

But in a season that has been miserable, I will take what Dominguez and the other "kids" are doing. 

- I did some of the pregame work for Saturday's football season opener. I created the promo yesterday that will run on WGCH all week. Today, I put together the opening and closing elements for the broadcast. 

It will likely never air. At least not as I created it tonight.

Why? Because I'm the narrator and it's awkward to hear me introduce myself. So Bob Small will likely be called in unless I can get someone else to voice it. However, if nothing happens between now and Saturday, I have one prepared to run.

Preparation, indeed.

A few years ago, we started using some highlights in the opening as a way of pumping up listeners. I grabbed a fresh group of highlights for this one and it's always a bittersweet ride. With each highlight, there is a different memory of where we were, the game itself, or the fun we had.

Yes, this is work and we work hard but it still has to be fun. I'm hoping this year will be.

- As the night comes to a close (the Yankees just wrapped up a three-game sweep in Houston) I'm once again looking at potential travel plans. I've thought a few times about how this summer has been one of my favorites ever. As I told Sean, I sort of don't want it to end but one more adventure might be the perfect way to end it.

I'll add more details as we approach it.

But, again, my nose is in my computer as I scroll through hotels that can hold the four people who will be participating in this sojourn.

Oh yeah. 

- I am fascinated by Burning Man, the festival that takes place in the Nevada Black Rock Desert. While it's completely not my style, I find the annual creation of a city on the playa to be so interesting.

But, man, 70,000 people are currently stranded there due to rain that has turned the playa into the worst imaginable quagmire (giggity)? No thanks.

To some, that's fun and all part of the experience. To me? Nope.

I see the images coming out there and am reading the stories of people walking -- in quicksand-type mud -- upwards of six miles to get back to the main road. 

Respectfully, no thank you, but again, this isn't my style. Thus I watch and read from the comfort of my (steamy) apartment bedroom.

One death has been reported and is being investigated. 

I'm all for the fun and creativity of Burning Man. 

I just hope these people get out safely with stories to tell.

No comments: