Tuesday, September 12, 2023

People Do Listen


 

It was the first soccer game of the new season for Brunswick.

The first Brunswick broadcast of any kind for me since May.

It was a new setup. I'm now across the field from the fans and teams. I'm off all alone on the opposite side, underneath the scoreboard. That's where the LocalLive camera is and that's where I plug my audio in.

There were growing pains like not enough cable to stand in a comfortable position and I wish I had brought a chair with me. Things get a bit sore when I stand for that long.

Ah but so be it. Call the game.

Technically, it all worked. Audio came through and, after a few adjustments, sounded good. Video looked sharp which was no surprise. I found out at halftime that our good friend A.J. was on the controls so I was in good hands.

Brunswick was the better team but couldn't convert until the 79th minute. King tried but simply couldn't penetrate an outstanding Brunswick defense.

In the end, it was Brunswick 1, King 0.

A successful opening day for sure.

I packed up, having baked in the late afternoon sun. I considered the things that I needed to make this run better. Maybe a longer audio cable and power cord to get me to a spot where I can lean against the fence. Maybe better binoculars to be able to see the far side of the field from the ground-level setup I have.

I'm always trying to be better.

At the same time, I still have a voice in me saying that I have no business broadcasting soccer alone -- or at all. Yet here I am anyway.

I pulled everything together, loaded it onto a luggage trolley that I've had for years, and began making my way toward my car. I walked a different way and was concerned I'd wind up fenced-in.

Then a Brunswick player came trotting over from the other side of the field.

"Hi, are you Rob Adams?" he said.

I always try to be invisible. Yes, I'd be happy to know the players but, lately, it just seems to be difficult for whatever reason, so the coach -- any coach -- becomes the conduit.

"Yes," I said.

"I'm Johnny Saunders. Thank you so much for being here today. We're really excited to have you calling our games."

I was flabbergasted. Before I had a chance to react, I saw another player trot over. Co-captain Tyler Quake came over to say hello.

We talked about the game (I'm always digging for nuggets for the broadcast) and how head coach Danny Simpson was feeling.

In short, they were pleased with their performance and with the win. As any team does, they knew they could be better.

I thanked them both profusely. They'd just played a 90-minute soccer match on a hot day and had every right to be exhausted. Heck, they could have found me in the parking lot or waited until another game.

But these two wonderful people ran over to meet the weird old dude who is their broadcaster.

Blessed was the only word I could come up with.

I just think I have a marginal impact on the audience if I have any impact at all. The parents. The grandparents. I figure if they're not muting me or criticizing me then it's all good. My radar is always up so when I'm approached I'm on guard.

I'm reminded of the reaction from the Trumbull Babe Ruth team and how they all thanked me.

Again, I just think I'm invisible. A voice, maybe.

I walked to my car (I wasn't fenced in) and thought about how they could possibly know me. Yet I guess students sometimes watch the games and hear my name somehow. Let's face it, I do a lot of games at Brunswick and will do so again this year.

I joke a lot about being "a big deal." I never actually think I'm that. Chris Erway tries to get me to think that way sometimes with "The A-Team" bravado, but I'm just me. A nobody.

Thanks, Johnny and Tyler, for coming over today. I'm grateful.

And thank you for not calling me "Mr. Adams." He's hopefully got some kind of celestial internet connection and he's learning the sport of soccer from me.

The week is growing. With this game out of the way, I'll pivot to hockey. Yes, ice hockey. I have to go to Stamford tomorrow to check on connectivity to help with broadcasts for a junior hockey team, the Connecticut Roughriders. If all goes well, I'll call their game Thursday morning at 11:30. If that goes well, I'll serve as a play-by-play announcer there moving forward wherever I can jump in.

Then later on Thursday is Stamford/Greenwich football on WGCH.

On Friday, I'll head to Cheshire Academy for Brunswick's opening football game. Unfortunately, I'll be alone this year (there's a story here) unless things change. We can only control what is in our own hands and adjust. Chris Erway won't be with me to get a senior discount on coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Finally, I've picked up a Saturday football broadcast, as Stepinac hosts DePaul Catholic.

Oh, and if the Renegades win their playoff series against Jersey Shore, I'll head back to the stadium for public address duties on Sunday. They lost tonight so Thursday's game is everything. Then they have to win again on Friday.

Then back to soccer on Monday at Brunswick.

Where the players are happy I'm there.

That's really cool.



No comments: