Sunday, September 17, 2023

Shouting From the Roof

 

Baseball! The teams have been introduced

As I've mentioned, I picked up one more Renegades game.

The bad news is the Gades could muster no offense today and lost to the Greenville Drive 2-0. They trail in the best-of-three South Atlantic League Championship Series one game to none.

Looking at the bright side (selfishly) I was honored to be the public address announcer for the game. The loss dampens that spirit of course.

I wrote my thoughts about the season with the Gades last Sunday so I won't rehash it. Heading into 2024, assuming I'm back, I think we can do some things better. 

But the relationships there mean so much to me.

Plus, baseball.

The Gades can still win the title but they now have to go to South Carolina to do so. 

*****


I got my chance to call Stepinac football yesterday in White Plains for LocalLive.

It's a legacy football program in the area and a highly regarded one in New York Catholic School football lore.

I've only called an event there once, but it was basketball in their gym and it didn't even involve Stepinac. 

This, on the other hand, was a real-deal matchup between two strong teams.

Upon arrival, I surveyed things to realize that I was a stranger in a strange land.

Kevin Devaney Jr. warned me that the setup would be different. That's all I knew.

As I stood in the parking lot, reality set in. There was no press box. There were a couple of scissor lifts across the way. There were stands on the side where I was standing.



Kevin called and gave me the rundown. He said, with detailed instructions, to go into the school and head upstairs.

And go as far as I could go.

Then I saw where the LocalLive camera was positioned. It was installed at the top of the school.

Yup. That's where I was going.

I reached a narrow path on the roof after climbing out a side door. A videographer was positioned there and he had advanced knowledge that someone would be joining him. He was there to film for Stepinac while I was there to plug my audio into LocalLive's camera and call the game.

I prepared my brain to deal with the heights. In the end, it was no big deal.

In fact, except for the wind and sun, I loved it.

I just wasn't prepared for the likely sunburn, though I'm fine. As for the wind, I was prepared for that as I was able to tape things down.

I felt safe up there and, thus, no problems with the heights.

Stepinac mostly controlled the game and won 34-21. I noticed I picked up a few followers on social media so I'm hoping that meant viewers didn't have a problem with me.

Oh, I wasn't perfect. Far from it. But it was an enjoyable experience. It had that feeling of community that resonates so strongly with high school sports.

Plus the unique booth situation came with access to a nearby restroom and the chance to step inside if needed. It all worked fantastically.

I don't know if I'll ever have another chance to call a game there but I'd likely jump at it if ever offered.

Not every broadcast perch has to be indoors. Not every one needs to be Cardinal Stadium. Some can be very unique and this one qualified.

Look, it would be problematic if the weather was bad but that's why preparation for a broadcaster means having rain gear of some kind -- even ponchos from a recent visit to Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls.

Fortunately, none of that was needed yesterday. Once settled in, I focused on trying to call a game featuring teams I'd never seen before.

I hope it worked.

*****


A last note with a great debt of thanks. As I wrote yesterday, I was going to my friend Scott's house for his annual party following the DePaul/Stapinac game.

I did the drive from White Plains to Mahopac following the game -- one that I'm very familiar with.

I was sorry to have missed a few people who left before I arrived, but grateful to see dear friends whom I've known since I was in first grade (at least that's what we think).

We picked on each other, hugged each other, made each other laugh, and I watched them blow fire. You just have to be there to understand,.

I caught up with everyone, from Sue and Matt's trip to Europe to Greg and JoAnn's new home away from home to Scott and Monica's wedding.

That night served as a great reminder that life is complicated so getting together is always tough due to other commitments but that we're all great friends and we're here for each other.

Last night's party was the 30th edition. We're all getting a little older (none older than I am) and that adds a touch of reality that time is precious.

The laughter is also precious.

So let's do it again next year.

(and thanks to loyal reader JoAnn for the photos)

John, Scott, Matt, Ron, and some other dude
who graduated from Mahopac High in 1987.

JoAnn always reminds me that my mom was her favorite
class mother. That's meaningful.


No comments: