Saturday, September 16, 2023

Egg and Cheese

 

A classic ham, egg, and cheese 

Saturday morning, Greenwich.

Time for grocery shopping hasn't been abundant so I've had to improvise a bit.

I'm out of cereal and, well, it's been a busy (and, obviously, stressful) stretch.

So I ran out this morning. OK, wait. Ran? Run? Walk?

OK, sorry. Too tired and too much to do. I drove over the hill and into town to grab a sandwich at Plaza Restaurant.

Though I've seen the restaurant for years, we discovered it almost by accident. Sean and I were walking to the Greenwich Town Party a year ago and we both needed something to eat.

Enter Plaza Restaurant. We took a risk that they'd make a couple of sandwiches to go.

A classic Greek breakfast/luncheonette, they were business-like, and, thus, of course, they'd be happy to make us a couple of egg and cheese sandwiches to go.

And it's among the best egg and cheese sandwiches out there. Now make mine a ham, egg, and cheese with a hash brown patty and we're good to go.

Plus they're right across from the train station, so it's a solid choice.

Except, like much of town, you're out of luck if you need anything before six or seven in the morning.

But we'll take what we can get.

So we look towards this weekend, in which I'll continue to keep buzzing.

We'll start in a few hours at Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains for football between the Crusaders (1-1) and the Spartans of DePaul Catholic (1-1). Game time is 1:30 and I was asked to do it by Kevin Devaney Jr. at LocalLive.

There's an inherent anxiety to being the fill-in for a variety of reasons, including the unknown. Plus it's a fill-in, thus the audience is used to someone else. So it's like Thursday's hockey game in Stamford in that way.

But I also look at it as exciting because I'm pleased to be trusted. I know how important Stepinac football is as a legacy program. They had a longtime Thanksgiving Day rivalry with White Plains High School which ended in 2017 over concerns of students who wanted to play both fall and winter sports. The Thanksgiving game would be a crossover between seasons and, as such, not allowed.

The two teams met 44 times between 1971 and 2017. If you know me, I hate when bureaucratic nonsense gets in the way of tradition. In other words: adults ruin everything.

I saw the same happen when the great Rye/Harrison rivalry took a brief break. Sometimes we need to understand how important these events are to players and families as well as alums. 

Yes, that includes the FCIAC football championship.

But, I'm babbling. 

After the game, I'm going home.

OK, to Mahopac, where I no longer live.

Scott's 30th annual Jimmy Buffett Party is today/tonight back on the mean streets of the Lake Secor area.

I've been, most likely, to 25 or so. The past couple of years have been a toned-down affair with the close inner circle of my friends. 

I'm not quite in that circle for a variety of reasons and I get it. But I'll be there tonight to renew acquaintances with friends that I've had for 40 or more years.

Any rumors of debauchery will be unfounded.

Maybe.

At least at our ages.

After a chance to, dare I say, sleep for a few hours, I'll handle public address duties for my first South Atlantic League Championship as the Renegades meet the Greenville Drive tomorrow at Heritage Financial Park.

If you're paying attention, that means it's Yankees/Red Sox for the title.

The Gades, who lost Game 1 of the semifinals in New Jersey, returned to the HV and swept the last two games.

Now, they get to play for the title. Tickets are still available (they start at $5) and parking is free. Come on out, sit near us in the PA booth, and get ready to have fun.

Oh, and I'm doing soccer on Monday and Wednesday.

And a conference in New York (albeit a half day) later in the week.

And football next Friday. Then I might be away next weekend.

STOP!

One day at a time.

One event at a time.

Football at 1:30.

Join me.

No comments: