Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Lines Across the Pond

 

Noise-canceling headphones on as the flight roars toward the UK

I'm thinking they didn't want me to go to England today.

The first problem was at JFK. Oh, I was at the Hunt Scanlon offices on time. I was waiting when the van to take us to the airport showed up.

Up at 3 a.m. At the office at 4:05. 

We had a 7:55 a.m. flight and we were there really early.

Chris, Scott, Mike, Walker, and Erik each went to the check-in kiosk. I also went to one.

The difference was the machine didn't accept my passport. A staff member came over and helped me and we moved to another kiosk.

Nope. It didn't work.

"Go stand in line and get checked in at the desk," came the reply.

In the meantime, Chris, Scott, Mike, Walker, and Erik were all gone.

I mean, gone.

Soon, the phone rang. It was Erik and they were already past security.

Thankfully the passport drama was minimal and I buzzed through security.

We grabbed breakfast and wasted time before boarding the plane.

The seats were comfortable and I had more legroom. It was worth it.

Plus, I had a little Tom Hanks film festival, watching A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Elvis.

But we soon landed and were off the plane. 

Upon arriving at passport control at Heathrow, I again approached a kiosk to officially cross into the UK.

The machine read my passport. Then it took a picture of me.

Then it told me to see an agent.

Again, onto a line, and this one was longer than the one back at JFK.

Oh, I had the same issue with my passport at Heathrow last year.

But, again, my issue was literally just with being stuck on what felt like an endless line while holding everyone else up.

Again, Erik called me. I'm sure my frustration was evident.

But the agent looked at my passport, confirmed the picture was indeed me, asked where I was coming from and why I was there, and sent me on my way.

The M4 expressway at 9:35 p.m.

We collected any checked bags, eventually got a ride, and made our way into London.

Tonight is just about settling in. A late dinner and a visit to a nearby pub as well as a stroll over to check in on King Charles.

That just sounds weird.

The King is home but you'd think he'd put a few 
more lights on for us.

There's some business to tend to tomorrow morning and then we'll be free.

The conference is Thursday.

And then, before you know it, I'll be back home.

It's great to be here. It's a favorite place of mine.

I'm going to turn in, though it's only around 8 p.m. in Connecticut.

But it was a long day and another one awaits.

No comments: