Saturday, June 10, 2023

28 Innings

 


I was there at 8 a.m.

That is, after waking up a little before 6 a.m.

No cat helps that situation.

Then, following breakfast, it was all about baseball.

Four state championship games in Hamilton Township, New Jersey. If you know anything about me you know how seriously I take that assignment.

Yet, as early as I was, I had little guidance.

I also didn't have a videographer.

It would all come together, though the coffee seething through me heightened any anxiety.

But I remained patient.

I was allowed to go into the booth and set up my audio position.

I ran cables to where the videographer would be.

They showed up around ten minutes before the first game and we set up like a tornado.

I'm not sure when we got on the air but I still called every pitch.

In fact, I called every pitch of every game.

All 28 innings.

It included:


- Pascack Valley's gorgeous 1-0 win over Rumson-Fair Haven. It was wonderfully pitched with both starts throwing complete games.

- Mainland's 3-0 lead in the first inning over Morris Knolls. The runs were all unearned on three errors. Then Morris Knolls got their stuff together and won 9-3.

- Ridgewood's shutout win over Old Bridge.

- Pequannock's 5-4 win over Buena (pronounced "Buh-you-nuh").


The job done, the outsider that is me quickly packed up and left.

And I drove.

I did not stop until I reached Greenwich.

You know what? I'd be happy to make this an annual thing. Just give me all six baseball championship games and consider it done.

I'll give them my best.

It's exhausting and a challenge and involves so much more than just showing up and talking. In fact, it can be an endurance test.

Congratulations to the winners.

And, hopefully, it was a job well done.

Leaving the booth as I found it.


No comments: