Thursday, April 25, 2013

Stupid Politics: Ridgefield Edition

Sometimes, idiocy astounds me.

This sign is in a bookstore, Books on the Common, in Ridgefield, CT.  It seems they had a simple sign announcing new arrivals outside their door but some overzealous, over-officious individual with an agenda decided to go whine to the Zoning Department.

It reminds me of the kerfuffle in Carmel, NY when a music store had the temerity - THE HORROR - to set up a speaker that played music during the holiday season.  Because of some foolish town law, they were told that would have to pay to play those tunes before rational thought took over.

Now, to be clear, I don't have a dog in the fight. I stepped the shop once - on my first day at The Bulletin.  The lady in there seemed very nice, and I love book stores.  Plus I think supporting local businesses is an important thing to do in this era.

But regardless, I think this is foolish.

Shame on those who complained.  Further shame on Ridgefield for allowing the complaint to stand.

No comments: