Wednesday, August 02, 2023

The Trumbull Broadcasts Are Over

 

We played Mario Kart today and, instead of using our faces in
the game, we used pictures of the cat. 
Because of course, we did.

We interrupt our regularly-scheduled good news/vacation/positivity post for a bit of a bummer.

Damn you, reality, but I expected this.

I found out today -- and it's truly no surprise -- that the Babe Ruth World Series in Stratford/Fredericksburg, VA won't allow me to call any games.

The reason? They have contracted it out to a company to do a video broadcast with commentary.

Audio only/radio is not welcome.

Once again, video kills the radio dude.

Oh, I'm completely confident that our broadcasts on Robcasting would have been good. They would have been appreciated in Trumbull and no doubt in a few other places. They would have bothered the people producing the video broadcast because I wouldn't charge for my efforts.

But they're a business and thus (contract or not) they see me as a threat.

Am I? I don't see it that way but, as I said, my broadcasts on Robcasting would be free. Still, I don't provide video to go with the audio call.

I'll admit that it (frankly) pissed me off as I was playing mini-golf and arcade games and stepping in a batting cage for the first time in over a decade.

But even as the steam emanated from my ears, I knew this was the deal.

And yet, Trumbull still wants me in Fredericksburg. Mike Buswell thinks I could still do a podcast. Maybe I could do "Doubleheader." Maybe I could be useful in other ways. That's something I'll consider.

The people of Trumbull have been amazing. They see me as one of them and while I'm careful when walking that line, I'm beyond grateful for how they've made me feel. So why wouldn't I consider driving back next week?

But I'll also say this: I'm not good in spots where I know I should be in the broadcast booth. It's why I don't go to many sports events unless I know I can remain completely occupied.

I know, in my heart, that I belong in the booth in Fredericksburg next week. I know that my audio would be a fairly useful (and smart) thing to add to fans who can't be there to watch the games in person.

The audio is good for the person in the car or working around the house or mowing their lawn or hanging out on the beach.

I know that. All of it. I have years of experience with this.

But it's not meant to be.

I was fully prepared to leave Fayetteville, NC on Saturday, drive Sean to Ocean City, MD for the next phase of his vacation, and cruise to Greenwich. Then I'd spend Sunday at home before having to teach Monday in Stratford.

Then I was going to leave for Virginia as soon as class was over. I was fairly excited about the whole thing.

But I knew in my heart all along that it was a long shot and I was right.

So, eventually, the fog lifted in my brain and I continued with my day. I watched Sean and his cousins drive go-karts and continued to hear promising results from my niece about her recovery. 

The day had plenty of happiness. We were all together as a group sharing laughs and dinner.

Speed bumps happen.

Also, there are quite possibly 1-2 more game broadcasts on the summer docket, but I'll share details on that once it's all locked in.

Then?

Onto football.

*****

Lastly, we pause to remember two important people in our lives: Thurman Munson and Vin Scully. 

We lost Thurman on this day in 1979 and Vin passed a year ago tonight. I remember where I was when I heard the news of each man's death and the profound feelings it produced.

Each man was an integral part of Major League Baseball in their own way. Vin is still impacting broadcasters and fans around the world while fathers and grandfathers tell stories of Munson's leadership, hitting, and tenacity.

They're both missed and forever tied to August 2.

No comments: