Monday, August 07, 2023

On the Road Again!

Crossing the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge

 

Since July 19 I have spent five nights in Rhode Island, come back home for five, then went to Buffalo for two nights, one night in Fairmont WV, and five in Stedman NC.

This is my third night back in Connecticut.

I'm out of here again tomorrow.

Coming as no shock, I'm heading to Virginia for the Babe Ruth World Series.

The Trumbull families want me there and, as I've said, it's nice to be wanted. Things are quiet and I had cleared the Renegades off my schedule to be available for the World Series, so why not go?

Of course, I won't be calling the games. We can spend all day talking about it but it is what it is. I'm of the belief that an audio broadcast should be an option but it's not. I can't lament what I can't change.

Instead (if it all works out), I'll head to Fredericksburg, VA to host a few days of "Doubleheader" and enjoy the games. I'll help coach Mike Buswell out however needed. I'll interview Mike and the players if they'd like. I'll share things as podcasts.

I'll report. It's what I do.

Always prepared, I'll hit the road with equipment. 

It will be weird to come and go from the stadium as opposed to being at every game but I plan to enjoy that also. I'm going to try to embrace this experience and not lament that I'm not broadcasting the games.

It's the last piece of a wonderful month of road trips. It's like a dream.

*****

I'll be passing through Baltimore tomorrow night, which reminds me of the rather shameful Kevin Brown situation with the Orioles. 

Brown is the TV play-by-play announcer and news broke today that he was suspended for essentially pointing out the O's had been woeful in recent trips to Tropicana Field, the home of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Baltimore has played better this season in St. Petersburg, but the Orioles front office, led by Chair and Managing Partner John Angelos, opted to take Brown off the air because they didn't like him noting the fact.

A fact that was actually included in the teams' pregame notes.

The Orioles are getting lambasted across the sports world tonight with many broadcasters and pundits sounding off on how foolish the team looks. In fact, I've not read a single note supporting Angelos or the Orioles.

I'll add that I've not been a fan of the Angelos ownership of the Orioles dating back to the 90s when they'd do literally anything to protect Cal Ripken's consecutive game playing streak.

They've frequently looked small-minded and they've pretty much outdone themselves with this.

There feels like there's more to this story and I'll be listening to some Baltimore radio tomorrow for sure.

But it's a head shaker.

I'll add this: it's about Kevin Brown. It's not about you or your interaction with Brown. This story stinks and is embarrassing for a broadcaster who I guarantee wants no part of being the story. Most of us have no interest in attention because it's not about us.

Don't try to leech onto this.

*****

Last thing: think happy thoughts for me as I prepare to battle rush hour for nearly the entire trip from Greenwich to Fredericksburg.

Getting out of the New York area and then scuffling with Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, and Washington (The Beast) gives me nightmares.

Of course, northern Virginia won't be a walk in the park either. Traffic, in fact, doesn't break up until -- wait for it! -- Fredericksburg.

Patience -- not my strong suit in traffic -- will be necessary.

But I think it will all be worth it.

I hope to write a post from a hotel in Virginia tomorrow night.

No comments: