Friday, August 18, 2023

Softball Mayhem Tonight

Tonight's office: SIUH Community Park
(Photo: Staten Island FerryHawks)
 

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they called New York Harbor

 -- Gordon Lightfoot (sort of)


It's a gloomy, awful Friday morning in Connecticut and I'm preparing for a softball broadcast.

Check that. Two softball broadcasts.

The rain is supposed to clear out after a night of heavy downpours and thunderstorms.

So, we should have the aforementioned softball game(s) later as scheduled.

Ok, then what's this all about?

What it comes down to is that I like calling games. I also like calling games for those in my world.

So when Kathy Dempsey (friend of Susan but, now? A friend of MINE!) asked if I would do it, I couldn't pass it up.

I will say, both Kathy and Susan kept reminding me that I didn't have to say yes to any of this. While Kathy doesn't know me as well as Susan, we all knew that I'd do both games.

Kathy, I should mention, is playing in the first game. There will be plenty of Gordon Lightfoot songs to go around for our fair Queen of Yacht Rock.

So, no, I didn't have to do the second game, but I know Susan thought I'd do it.

Have we met?

I don't do much well. I barely broadcast well. But I can make these games special for the people playing and their families.

So, when asked why am I doing this, I'm doing it for fun and to give everyone a nice memory.

Sean is coming with me and the idea of calling these games from the home Staten Island FerryHawks is too good to pass up.

He and I are making a day of it. We're heading up in the early afternoon to go grab lunch before heading to Staten Island. It will be a long day for sure but, again, have we met?

I'll call the games as I always do. Sure, there might be more frivolity than normal to keep the affair light but that's because I want it to be fun.

Keep in mind that, long before the Greenwich and Port Chester baseball game that I called on Apr 10, 1999, I was first a softball broadcaster. Back in 1995, I became the play-by-play announcer for the league where I worked. Even after my job with Kraft Foods was transferred to Chicago, I stayed on and called games for a few more years and continued to host their banquet until the league folded.

Those Philip Morris/Kraft softball games proved to me that I could be a serviceable play-by-play announcer.

So this is going back to the beginning for me. Just in a nicer stadium than old Abendroth Field in Port Chester, where people could just walk across the outfield grass while the game was going on.

Barring any Kathy hijinks, I don't expect we'll have such issues whilst the game proceeds. Though one can't rule out a pizza rat showing up (if you know you know).

We're going with an open mind. I have no -- literally, zero -- idea of what to expect. We might be in a booth. We might be sitting down in the stands.

We might not have wifi or cell service. We're trying here.

The whole thing might bomb or it might be a blast and a beginning of a new tradition to end the summer broadcast schedule.

Isn't that the beauty of broadcasting? Look, radio and TV can be scripted. Of course, it can and it often is. But, so often, many parts of the business are completely unscripted. I don't script my radio shows. I don't script my game broadcasts. 

We've prepared as best as we can. Kathy has spoken with the stadium about us being there. We've done our due diligence. Now we leave it up to the broadcasting gods.

So it's best to go in with an open mind and enjoy the evening. The stadium is great. The view is breathtaking and, take it from me, Staten Island is a cool place. The people have always been kind to me and it reminds me more of the suburbs than of the city. Plus, I'll stack Joe & Pat's pizza against anything Connecticut has to offer. 

Yes. Anything.

Ah-nay-than-ugh (from "Anchorman").

And we get a perfect view of the Staten Island Ferry. 

So come for the softball and stay for the fun.

Incidentally, admission to the game is free. 

The broadcast is also free.

So join us. Sean will be there and he might do some color commentary. Heck, maybe he'll break out his play-by-play skills like he did in Brooklyn a few years ago for the mascot race.

I've got notes for three of the teams as I write (8:35 a.m.). 

6:30 -- Damn Dames vs. Old School (I'm still waiting for their lineup and roster!)

8:00 -- Dirt & Diamonds vs. Basic Pitches

Playoffs and fun abound.

All live at robcasting.mixlr.com.

And why not do it? I taught myself that many years ago. I have a little bit of a skill and I'm happy to contribute it wherever it brings joy to everyone (including me).

See you tonight.

*****


Since we've mentioned Susan and Staten Island, how can I not remind you to get your copy of her latest book of poetry: Broken Places?!

It's great. That's my review.

Buy it on Amazon!


No comments: