Sunday, August 06, 2023

Sunday with The Cat

 


I did go out today.

I picked up dinner.

Other than that, it's been a day at home with our friend The Cat.

He has been by my side since I walked in the door at 9:14 last night.

Normally, he sleeps in my closet or somewhere else but he was keeping an eye on me.

Granted, I haven't been around much in the past few weeks and, if things go as they seem to be going, I'll be gone again for a few more days.

For now, I'm here, and it's very low-key.

I enjoyed a piece of cheesecake. I had some Connecticut Italian food. I sat in my lounge chair on the deck. I cleaned.

I also pondered what to write.

Stuff like that.

I popped on my Bobby Murcer replica Cubs jersey (circa 1979). The jersey was a rare impulse buy from me as I'm such a stickler for such things and I wasn't sure the Cubbies had names on their jerseys. But a check of the interwebs produced a video with them showing the surnames on the back.

The package was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs last night. While it looks legit, I know the deal (especially given what I paid) but it's a pretty faithful jersey nonetheless.

It's also incredibly comfortable and perfect for a quiet Sunday at home.

Sean has been heard from as his good times roll on in Maryland. I'm happy for him. He was never one to be away from home like this and I think it's extremely positive and healthy for him. I could tell he was concerned as we sat in traffic yesterday, getting anxious about connecting in Ocean City with his friends.

It was all no big deal. Sadly, he gets that anxiety from me (and he yells at me when I get anxious).

I texted him a picture of the cat this morning. Otherwise, he's on his own down there. I'm beyond positive he's going to have a great time. He texted me a picture of his friend Chris at Wawa last night, which is apparently not far from where they're staying. 

There's plenty of minigolf and other attractions for him to have fun with. Plus there's this big called the Atlantic Ocean for him. Plus Chris and his friend Ethan (whose family invited Sean) are there.

It's going to be all good. It's also going to be an opportunity for Sean to develop his own personality as a traveler. I warned him that he's going to see how another family travels and that it might be a revelation to him, given he's been stuck with his old man for so long.

My travel style is directly from my father and I know that. It has been refined over the years. It also continues to evolve.

Now, Sean gets his chance and I think it's great.

*****

I'm noticing a lot of bloviating on the socials about "positivity" and while I can be a cheerleader for so many (but an honest cheerleader), I call B.S.

Frankly, such rampant positivity can be Pollyannaish which is blatantly fraudulent.

Live in this world.

There's nothing wrong with being honest. Being honest isn't the same as being mean. Being honest doesn't necessarily mean negativity either. There's a line that can be crossed and that's the complexity of the situation.

Have I crossed the line? Yeah, I know I have.

But I don't think of myself as a mean person.

I think I'm often quite positive but, more often than not, I'm simply realistic.

There's not a thing wrong with that.

*****


Oh, back to the jersey. Well, I figure it's fitting since today is Aug 6, the 44th anniversary of "The Bobby Murcer Game" in which our guy drove in five runs to beat Baltimore 5-4 on the night of Thurman Munson's funeral.

I realize Bobby Ray was with the Yankees by then (and wearing number two after a few games in number 27). But I wanted to break out this beauty, so I wore it today to watch the Yankees lose on TV, once I figured out what channel they were on.

I like that the jersey is a pullover, much like my super-comfortable Fenómenos Enmascarados one from the Renegades.

Plus those looks of the 70s were so garish that they are cool now. Consider the Braves and Pirates and the myriad powder blues (Cubs included) of the era.

Murcer was also with the Giants and his number 20 jersey can be purchased but I haven't done that yet. Then, to be a completist, I could have Yankees jerseys made in 27 and 17 (his rookie year) but let's not get too crazy.

I'm crazy enough already.

No comments: