Saturday, August 26, 2023

Thank You, Vets

 


I'm not a big fan of the Lee Greenwood song, "God Bless the USA."

You know the one, though you more likely know it by its chorus, which includes "I'm proud to be an American."

That line is the point of the post.

Nights like this feel right for expressing such pride.

It was Veterans Night at Heritage Financial Park and I was on the mic for public address duties. I was also in the booth, calling the action for the same event in 2021.

It's a fun gig but, in many ways, I'm just an eye in the sky, reading prepared advertisements and introducing the players.

"Leading off for the Renegades, number ninety-three, Spencerrrrr JONES!"

Occasionally I can throw in a witty line or an ad-lib but I'm otherwise Ron Burgundy.

"Anything you put on the teleprompter, Burgundy will read."

I've used that line on several occasions in this job.

But being an eye in the sky on a night like this isn't a bad thing.

It's a profound honor to watch veterans get honored.

As they should.

Think about what they put their mind, body, and spirit through for our protection and freedom.

It astounds me. 

I think of the atrocities that my family members experienced in war and I can't even grasp it.

I had uncles in World War II and a cousin in Vietnam, off the top of my head.

I've talked with my cousin but never had the chance to talk with my uncles about their experiences and, frankly, who knows if they would have talked?

Soldiers tend to downplay their experiences and, often, prefer not to recall them.

In the case of tonight, Purple Heart honorees mixed with red-blooded Americans for a few hours to cheer, wave, sing, and watch baseball.

I prefer to avoid the jingoistic nature of "God Bless the USA" but you couldn't help but be swept up in it. I know my parents would be touched by the whole scene.

The ceremonies began with a procession of motorcycles who drove around the field before recently splitting near the first and third base dugouts.

All of the dignitaries were introduced, with a few politicians delivering speeches. 

Various organizations were honored for their work with veterans as well.

It was all just done right.

From my perspective, I went on mic to introduce one award to be given out before sending the attention of the crowd back down to Rick Zolzer, who truly feels so strongly about this night each year. He is masterfully passionate in his duties as the true master of ceremonies.

The music throughout the night stayed within the theme with many patriotic tunes (or pseudo-patriotic tunes) filling the speakers.

It's hard to not get caught up in the Americana of "America the Beautiful" as performed by Ray Charles, that's for sure.

Ceremonies over, it was time for baseball, and the Renegades, who play in special uniforms as the "Veterans," defeated the Aberdeen IronBirds.

In theory, for a night, there was no complaining about politics and stupid sports debates. Nobody was blocking one another on social media and any such juvenile nonsense.

It was about baseball and family and community and laughter and food.

I watched from the public address booth as the night crept along.

Meaningful performances of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and "God Bless America" filled the air as veterans stood outside the window where I stood and saluted.

Following the final out, a trumpeter played a somber "Taps" before fireworks lit up the sky.

It was OK to feel a catch in your throat a few times.

It was even OK to be proud to be an American, no matter how much that pride has been tested.

The stadium got so quiet at times that all you could hear was the engines roaring by on Interstate 84.

Profound.

Impactful.

Zolz always finishes the evening the same way, delivering a standard farewell of "Good night. Drive safe. God Bless America. I'm Rick Zolzer."

Normally, I stay off the mic after that but I got swept up in the emotion of the moment. I wanted it clear one last time what tonight meant.

"Thank you, veterans," I said. "Good night."

It wasn't an attempt to steal thunder or upstage anyone. I certainly don't need the last word.

I just wanted these brave men and women to know that they are appreciated and loved.

Proud to be an American.

And it's OK.

No comments: