Monday, August 14, 2023

Extinguishing the Embers

 

(Photo: Amazon)

Things were getting hot a few minutes ago.

Egos run amok and soon it gets nuclear.

So we shut it down, take a deep breath, and walk away.

It's sad when it happens but it's also that moment before jumping into the barrel near the falls.

You know, do you want to go that far or should cooler heads prevail?

I decided to put out the fire.

This wasn't the one that was always burning since the world's been turning.

Oh, I was actually ready to go all in. Believe me, I can call out the hypocrisy and dig in deep and...then I figure it's not worth it.

It's not.

Not that this was the entire topic but, that being said, I'll always consider jumping on a broadcast at literally any time.

Why? A variety of reasons.

I suppose part of it is because people trust me and, sometimes, I'm the one who can do it. Let's return to Fredericksburg for a moment. Sure, there was the Jock Jive broadcast, but I had families begging for an audio broadcast.

So, OK. I didn't "half-ass" it. I wasn't unprepared (it's safe to say I know Trumbull pretty well). I had equipment. I was ready.

Why else? Because I believe in my ability to do it. I believe I can give a very good broadcast (ratings being relative of course). After it was over, families were happy and those who are my barometer said it sounded great.

I think back to the FCIAC baseball championship in 2021. I was sitting and having breakfast when Kevin Devaney Jr. reached out. He wondered if I could do the game in Stamford at 1 p.m. that day.

It was around 10 a.m. Maybe even later.

At first, I felt like it would be a bad decision but then I decided I liked the challenge.

I believed in my ability to tell the story. I know the conference. I knew the teams. I think I know the game. 

I got a few notes from one of the teams.

I went and did the broadcast. People who I had never spoken to reached out and thanked me.

So this is what works for me. I have faith that I can make it sing, dating back to that first hockey game that was thrown my way on the day of the contest.

Also, I'm fond of getting the work, especially in my current circumstances. That doesn't mean I say yes to everything. I'm not sure how many games I pass on every year but it's safe to it's quite a few.

But, again, this is what works for me. I do everything I can to be as prepared in terms of notes but also in terms of equipment and other scenarios, such as weather issues. Every game actually gets far more care than anyone might know.

I know Shawn Sailer has seen it. Chris Erway also. 

And I think -- through the egos and name-calling and whatever else -- that's what it comes down to: do what works for you.

There's no manual. I tell my students to use their style because that's exactly what Red Barber told Vin Scully.

In short, be yourself.

But let's stop judging. I think that's at the heart of what was getting me so annoyed. It's "to each their own." 

But that's the other thing: like other silly topics of this era, minds are not going to get change.

I'll take the microphone and run with it.

There's enough bad broadcasting out there and I'm no fraud. I bite my tongue or I call it out. But I will celebrate what I think is good.

I applaud the ones who I think get it.

I know the people who support me.

I love that there are people legitimately excited that Sean and I will be on Staten Island Friday night to broadcast softball. That's who I am: I'll broadcast it and make it sound professional. 

I've learned, always back to the first youth football game I called: take the opportunity and make it sound great. 

Always give it your best shot.

That's always the goal.

With that, there's nothing else to say on the topic. Agree to disagree. All venom shall be shelved.

Until it happens again.

Sadly.

No comments: