Saturday, August 12, 2023

Saturday Gratitude

 

A selfie taken on the incline showing my billboard-size chin.
In truth, I took it to not concentrate on the descent into 
Pittsburgh, given my concern over heights

The car was turned off shortly after 7 p.m. last night. 

I haven't been out since. The Cat has been attached to me and is currently to my right as I write.

That doesn't mean I'll be sedentary today. The Renegades asked if I was available for tonight's game, so I'm happy to head back to the Hudson Valley and handle public address duties for their game against Jersey Shore tonight.

That will make me feel more like I'm back home (weather permitting of course).

Sean is on his way back to his mother's from Ocean City. At last note, he was on the ferry crossing from Delaware to New Jersey. I can hear him groaning about Jersey from here.

New Jersey feels like a long ride. Can we all agree on that? Beyond that, NJ produced Sinatra and my mother. Oh, and Huey Lewis went to prep school there.

Anyway, I'm still settling back in with the memories of the past month roaming around. Is it possible to pick a favorite? 

I loved the competition of Rhode Island and the myriad laughs at dinner every night. I loved being a trusted part of the Trumbull traveling party. As a broadcaster -- a reporter -- you learn what is for air and what is not. It's crucial to not burn that.

I loved discovering how cool Buffalo is. It's just a very down-to-earth place.

I loved the Maid of the Mist experience. Sitting in front of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, watching Sean go "all in" to get soaked was priceless. Sometimes it's just nice to step back and be an onlooker. I suppose that's a thing I love about being a play-by-play announcer. You're a witness.

I loved that, albeit briefly, we were in Canada. It was my first trip there since Aug 2005 when, on the way back, I was asked at the border if that baby was mine.

I didn't laugh at her because I knew it was a question she should ask, but yeah, he was -- and is -- my son.

I loved Pittsburgh. I can't stress that enough. I loved Pittsburgh. All of it.

I loved (and was charmed by) West Virginia. The New River Gorge Bridge and the surrounding area were stunning. But I also loved crossing the Chesapeake Bay and the amount of tunnels we drove through.

I loved being with my family in North Carolina. I loved South of the Border and Buc-ee's. I loved eating the food and laughing the laughs and doing what we do.

I loved all of the baseball I saw -- Buffalo, Fayetteville, North Providence, and Fredericksburg. We even drove past fans heading into the Pirates game in Pittsburgh so the vibe was there.

I loved driving alone for the most part. It's only when I get sleepy or don't feel well (or feel lightheaded) that it becomes a bit of an issue.

I loved seeing how much Sean enjoyed his time in Ocean City. He's going to forge his path moving forward.

I loved doing the radio show in Fredericksburg and "sneaking" in a game broadcast. Trumbull has given me so much during these Babe Ruth experiences and this was the least I could do.

I love the subtle differences between the buzz of the cities and the quiet of rural areas. I loved the small towns.

I loved the differences from state to state. They're not always obvious but I can tell just from the road signs alone.

Oh, I loved all of it.

I'm sorry that it's over.

Still, it is good to be home. 

In fact, I want some New York pizza.

I'll start missing the road again. The itch will return quickly.

But, for now, I'm dreading the drive to Fishkill!

No comments: