Thursday, August 24, 2023

I'm Anxious For Fall

 

Cardinal Stadium booth, Nov 2022

The first game -- the first scheduled broadcast -- is Sep 9 at 2 p.m. That's when Greenwich and Fairfield Prep meet in the rematch of last year's Class LL state championship game.

So, yeah, if you're checking your calendar, that's 16 days from now.

But far be it for me to procrastinate. Oh, sure, I can be last-minute about things but, well, packing isn't often one of them.

Chris Erway and I have each gone through our respective schedules and checked our conflicts. It looks like we'll work 13 games together.

I'll either work the others alone or get someone to join me.

Sean Kilkelly is in for running the studio. It looks like he'll miss one game and we've got that potentially covered already.

Bob Small is ready to provide support as needed.

It's all in place. Almost. 

For what it's worth if you enjoy our "A-Team" rapport, you might want to encourage Chris to work more than just football (and wrestling) with me. We need to do a little basketball, ice hockey, baseball, and lacrosse also.

Can you believe we've worked exactly one baseball game, back in 2014 at Wilton High School?

Nah. The world needs more of us, especially since I was never able to get him into a Renegades game back in 2021. I was going to make it happen in 2022 but, well...

So we've done a large part of getting ready. We'd still like to touch base with coaches, parents, and captains before Sep 9.

I'll try to get to a scrimmage for each team eventually.

Anyway, I tore into my equipment today, gathering everything that I think I need to call Greenwich football as well as Brunswick football and soccer.

Oh, and Boomslang basketball. Don't worry, they're coming back also!

I made a list of what I needed for each scenario. There are subtle differences based on the number of broadcasters and how we connect.

Then the question became how I wanted to transport everything. Will I go with the hard-sided case I got at Harbor Freight Tools or will I choose a duffle bag or some kind?

Will I use WGCH's equipment, thus changing everything?

Will I pack a snack table for places where we don't have a place to set up?

Will I pack a pod to be ready for bad weather?

Well, sort of "yes" to everything.

Initially, I broke it all down and packed it into a duffle bag. That didn't thrill me because it defeated the purpose of my having the hard-sided case.

So I did what I do. I used my kitchen to do a full mock setup.

I then broke it down again and packed into the hard-sided case. Done.

I added an old small trolley that I can put the case on if I want to roll things.

Take a walk into Cardinal Stadium and you'll get it. The days of our media parking there are long gone.

The duffel bags will get filled with backup equipment just in case we need anything. 

I have the pod also for the weather as well as the huge Pelican case, which I put to good use back in Rhode Island.

It all has to get arranged in the car.

Now? Bring on Sep 9.

Oh, I'm ready. I know enough about Greenwich football that I could be handed a roster today. Then we could call that game.

I know, I know. Preparation and all.

But that's the point. We're prepared. 

We just need some games.

No comments: