Thursday, August 10, 2023

Learning Fredericksburg and the Area

 


It's a question I get asked often.

"How do you know so much about (insert place name here)?"

Well, I don't, but I can get myself around the town.

I remember it coming up in Naples, FL when Greenwich played football there in 2007. Jason Intrieri asked me if I had ever been there. While I might have been there when I was very young with my parents, I have no memory of it.

So, in truth, the answer was no.

"Well, you drive around like you've been here many times."

I was reminded of that as I left the hotel this morning. It's a quiet day for Trumbull baseball in Fredericksburg as they don't play until tonight. Their game -- at 8:30 p.m. -- is a win-or-go-home playoff against Eagle Pass, TX. 

I've been coming through Fredericksburg since 1969 but I can't say I knew the area that well.

I decided to step outside of the hotel, passing some of the parents on my way to the car. I smiled and said hello and hit the road.

I had no destination in mind. I did what I often do, which is just drive around the town I've come to.

It doesn't matter where -- Buffalo, Richmond, Stedman, or Fredericksburg. I do it to get a sense of the place. I also do it to learn some of the ways around.

In this case, I went down Business Route US 17 to US 1 and down to a Wawa to grab a breakfast sandwich. Then I jumped on 95, exiting off towards US 1 so I could see the park where the first two days of the World Series took place.

It was a nice field in a park of several baseball diamonds, located next to Stafford High School. It featured portable bleachers brought in for the event as well as a small platform for the broadcast. Banners and flags hung around the field to give the feel of pomp and circumstance that a World Series deserves.

Once the Fredericksburg Nationals left for a road trip, Virginia Credit Union Stadium opened up and the World Series moved there.

Incidentally, I looked at some of the swag in the gift shop at the stadium for the Series. Could a hoodie not cost $79?

I ate my breakfast in the park and departed, reaching the exit and turning left. Had I made a right, I would have returned to US 1 and the more direct way back to the hotel.

But, no. I explored, looking for a way to bring me over to US 17, where the hotel is, without dealing with the rigors of the constantly-under-construction interstate.

These were the roads less traveled, even though they were main roads. Cell service dropped to nothing. Water towers appeared. Meadows and new neighborhoods and weathered older houses all went by the windows.

After a few turns along these narrow passageways, the signs appeared.

US 17 South with an arrow pointing left and US 17 North with an arrow pointing right.

I turned left, passing another Waffle House on the way.

This is how I learn. From my youth of pouring through folded maps procured from various welcome centers and others who gave them to me to looking at Google Maps today to simply driving around. I have my methods of learning.

And preparing.

And it works for me.

The excursion was soon over. A few Trumbull dads were in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express as I parked.

Some of the moms were in the lobby and I heard my name. I chatted with them, and they all said how much their families are missing hearing me do the play-by-play. I thanked them and disappeared to return to my room.

I don't want to infringe upon these families. They've been wonderful to me and this is priceless time that they're spending. But I also know I'm the reporter; the broadcaster.

That guy.

Oh I'll hang out -- gladly -- but I don't want to be extra weight.

So I'm back in the room, writing words to fill the page before 8:30 tonight against Eagle Pass (live tweeting @ double5).

I'm glad to get the post done long before the game. I knew last night, for instance, that time would be tight and that was a smart call.

I rode with the team (a rarity for me) to and from the stadium, with everyone stopping at a restaurant afterward. This is part of where you learn that people pay attention, including families joking around and then looking at me to say, "Is this going be on the blog?"

Well, no. The stories I heard and laughed (and cringed) at will stay right there. Common sense prevails over what is public and what is not.

I'm a reporter. I use good judgment.

That's how I've built these relationships.

And this is all part of how I know these places I've visited.

No comments: