Sunday, August 27, 2023

Striving

A Bobby Murcer 1979 Cubs jersey, a Cider Donuts hat, 
and a party hat on top of that.
It was Rascal's (the mascot) birthday at the stadium today

 

I feel sort of uninspired to write tonight.

Yet, here we are.

The social media follies of 2023 continue to rattle in my skull, with the latest being that I (and others) have been blocked by the person in question. I frankly don't find it mature or very positive but it really doesn't matter. That situation wasn't my finest moment but I can assure you I sure as hell didn't deserve the way I (and, again, others) have been treated.

And thus lessons are learned and what you think are friends aren't. Full stop.

It's a situation that I hope will eventually get appropriately resolved one day but, for now, so be it.

But one of the things that still gnaws at me is the idea that my style of handling some things means I settle and do things for a lesser value.

I call nonsense on that.

I put my heart and soul into everything and, in general, I'm pushing for perfection.

Unattainable? Of course but that doesn't mean I don't try.

Take today at the ballpark. I'm pushing for every read to be right and, when it isn't, watch my face. I know I don't have a poker face and you read in my mind how angry I am at myself.

How disappointed I am.

So when there are breakdowns in communication or other unnecessary things that get people off their game I get fairly apoplectic.

This isn't about just me either. In the PA booth at Heritage Financial Park there are four people pushing for a smooth operation. It's best that it runs as a well-oiled machine free of ego.

There's always some on Crossfire (that is the video scoreboard), Click Effects (most of the music and sound effects), a booth producer (who works with the people in the field and around the stadium), and a PA announcer (me), who works in tandem with Rick Zolzer on the field.

Nobody needs to be over anyone's shoulder.

For what it's worth, I've talked for a few years.

At least since before 1999.

This has always been who I am. I push for the teamwork effort. I'll back up the team and get protective.

If it goes wrong, well, snark will follow.

I'll also bite my tongue. A lot. Until I need to speak.

But that's what is always going on. We're striving to put on the best entertainment not only in the South Atlantic League but in Minor League Baseball. Beyond that four in the booth, we need to work with basically everyone for a smooth and enjoyable ballgame.

Of course, the ballplayers do their part too.

I don't settle for some half-hearted effort. After it's over there's rarely anything that can be done except to be better next time.

But in the moment, I'm aiming for the best I can be and to help elevate the crew I'm with.

I don't need someone over my shoulder. Nor does the rest of the team.

Too many cooks can kill a stew. Especially the micromanaging cooks.

And so we shall endeavor to be better next time in whatever it is, be it a podcast or public address announcing or simply breathing.

Or that next game broadcast, currently scheduled for Saturday, Sep 9 at 1:50 p.m.

Or on social media.

And we're onto a new week.

A good night's sleep and I'll be inspired tomorrow.

No comments: