Monday, August 21, 2023

Maybe I Should Meditate

 

Sunset over the Gulf of Mexico, Mar 2023.

I let something I read fester a bit. 

If I wrote about it without some thought, I'd likely do damage. I don't want to do that.

Instead, I growled about it, realizing there's not much that can be done, and I decided to let those talking marinate in their own stew.

In short, people talk behind my back. 

They talk behind your back.

They also talk about you on social media and you know it's about you (or people you know).

But when things said are inaccurate, my blood pressure spikes.

I've long advocated for picking battles. That doesn't mean I don't screw that philosophy up.

Look, I was troubled by my own reactions to a situation last week. The person in question decided to go public and, again, more was said last night.

Again, when it's inaccurate, I get annoyed. That's a nice way of putting it.

I've pondered various rebuttals but, honestly, what good does that do? It becomes a "he said, he said, he said, etc" situation.

Breaking it down line by line is just no good.

Plus, when it plays out on social media, who wins? Honestly, everyone looks bad.

I'm about moving forward and I will but everyone sort of just needs to, well, be quiet about it all. Yes, that includes me.

But for people who are all about positivity, it leaves a negative taste.

It will pass. It will. But I don't like this kind of conflict. I especially don't like it with people I liked.

*****

I'm feeling the frustration of late August. The first football broadcast -- Fairfield Prep/Greenwich -- is just under three weeks away.

I want everything to come together. Now.

Chris Erway has identified his conflicts. I'm, frankly, exhausted with my own conflicts. Finding a way to teach at CSB this summer was brutal, to the point that I came home from North Carolina to teach and then drive back to Virginia. It was, to be blunt, insane.

Now I'm dealing with conflicts between CSB and the Renegades. It makes me look unreliable and, frankly, my reliability has always been a selling point.

So now it's picking the right combination of Greenwich and Brunswick football games to be at and figuring out the best way to try to cover them all, whether I'm there or not.

But, more than that, it's waiting on those things that are out of my control. This is where I'm often impatient but stomping my feet like Veruca Salt won't accomplish anything.

In my control is the creation of new sounds for the open and close of the Greenwich broadcasts. I can select some game highlights to use, especially given the Cardinals are the defending state champions. But I need to know who is sponsoring the games so that I can write the words for a voiceover to be created.

It will happen. All of it will. It also will likely all happen at the last minute.

I'll be ready for Sep 9. I could be ready now if they said they were going to play tomorrow.

*****

There's nothing to be said about the Yankees. I mean, I talk about them on "Doubleheader" but, at this point, what more can be said?

They're terrible. That's it.

Still, they added Oswald Peraza and Everson Pereira to the roster today.

I want to see these guys get serious playing time. I know -- not the Yankees way -- but a guy can wish.

Selfishly, I love seeing these former Renegades (along with Anthony Volpe, Jhony Brito, Randy Vasquez, and others) make it to the bigs. Many Renegades are playing in places other than New York. It all makes me smile.

Like I said, it's selfish, but I cherish that 2021 Hudson Valley Renegades team. It's not about me and I know that. Please don't let my words make sound like I'm saying that it is about me. But I covered these guys and it's exciting to see them achieve their goal of the big leagues.

I'll feel similar excitement as players whom I've watched from the PA booth make it also. Their time will come but, for now, it's the players I got to broadcast in a special season, and I wish them all the best of luck.

That's enough babbling for tonight.


No comments: