Friday, December 03, 2021

The Legend of 55

I'm often asked about my fascination with the number 55.

I've explained the basic version -- that I learned I couldn't wear number five if I played for the Yankees when I was five years old. I was encouraged to switch to 55.

But it was more than that and I was reminded of it today as I drove to Poughkeepsie, NY to co-host Rick Zolzer's Sunday sports talk show. With Zolz away, Frank Pomarico and I recorded the show late this afternoon.

I got ahead of things on my route so, being me, I decided to go a different way. Starting from Brewster, NY after grabbing a cup of coffee, I proceeded north on NY Route 22 to Pawling where I picked up -- yup -- NY Route 55 west.

Route 55 starts its journey as Connecticut Route 55 where it connects with US 7 in Gaylordsville. The road meanders for not quite three miles until it enters the Empire State and proceeds west, ending near the Pennsylvania state line at Barryville, some 122 miles away.

This of course makes it a favorite of mine and has been one of a few signs I'd actually like to own. It's also a road I'd like to drive from end to end, much like my drive of NY Route 52 back in 2009.

But back to the connection to me. Sure, I frequently use it to get to and from Poughkeepsie and other points. It has an interchange with the Taconic Parkway.

That's where my dad comes in.

You see, Dad worked for a place in Poughkeepsie and I got to visit him a few times over the years. How did he get there? He took the Taconic north to 55 west.

A five-year-old in his skull, fascinated with roads and baseball, needs nothing further than his own father driving that double-nickel road every day to create a bond.

Still, my father's job wasn't on 55. 

Upon reaching Poughkeepsie, he drove no more than a mile off 55 to find the plumbing supply warehouse and showroom. 

Which was located on US 44.

I'm not a Reggie Jackson fan.

So when you see Double 5 on Twitter and Dble 5 on Instagram and, of course, "Exit 55," you know how it came to be.

The quick and easy story is the uniform number I always wanted in baseball.

The longer answer involves the route number.

The true answer is the fascinating mind of a five-year-old in the early 1970s.

No comments: