Thursday, December 23, 2021

I Need a Road Trip

 

The international border runs through the Haskell Library (Photo via Reddit)

With the possibility of a very quiet Christmas looming* I've pondered exactly how I'll spend the day.

*COVID is impacting everyone, including my family. There might be a "plan B" but, for purposes of this post, it got me thinking about what if I'm alone.

So, yeah, I thought about just getting in the car and going somewhere. I haven't done much since Sean and I went to North Carolina in the summer. I realize I had two weddings and there are always sports adventures, such as the game at Avon Old Farms but, still, it's not the same.

There was a point where I thought about treating myself to a getaway. Honestly, given my current life, it would have been a completely solo trip because I don't think it would have interested Sean (justifiably).

Oh, to be clear, I like to have a travel companion but, much as with a broadcast booth, chemistry is mega important. The right person has to saddle up. It's not necessarily my desire to travel solo but I'm also not afraid to.

I've found traveling alone to be freeing and also awkward. There's no right answer.

So, unless you're new here, you know I love roads and driving and quirky things. 

There are two New England things of note that have intrigued me but you need to understand why.

Love it or hate, I've long been fascinated by Interstate 95. Oh, I quite know what a bear it can be. I've sat in traffic in almost every state it traverses.

I've seen the south end in Miami a few times and have driven nearly every mile of it. I've missed a stretch in Florida but, otherwise, I've driven the entire thing...

Until north of Portland, ME.

Photo: Daniel Woodrum, TakeMyTrip.com

I've never reached the north end at Houlton, ME.

So that was one of my ideas and, with that, maybe shoot up US 1 to its northern terminus at Fort Kent since I've also been to its southern end in Key West, FL.

Another fascination of mine is borders. For instance, I didn't go into Mexico when I went to San Diego in 2011 because I didn't have my passport. However, I went to the Mexican border.

I've also been to Canada a few times. However, I'd like to go to the place where you can cross the border and take out a book at the same time.

Haskell Free Library and Opera House (Photo by Amy Kolb Noyes for VPR)
The border is marked by the flower pots and border marker

That means Derby Line, VT. 

The Haskell Free Library and Opera House (yes, opera house) is intentionally built on the international border. The books are all in Canada but the entrance is in the United States. As for the theater, the stage is in Stanstead, Quebec while the majority of the seats are in Vermont.

A look at Canusa Ave. (Google Maps)

Oh, there are plenty of other border-related things I'd love to see, like Canusa Ave just a few miles from the Haskell Library. The road literally splits the border, with the southern neighbors in the US and those in the north in Canada. Have fun visiting customs for literally anything across the street.

Outside of Rouses Point, NY, Route 276 literally skirts the border, with the road parallelling Canada, sitting ever so quietly to the north.

I'm weird but I love this stuff and I do not apologize.

These are just a couple of my quirky ideas and none of them are realistic for a day trip. Houlton, ME is eight hours away and Derby Line is close to six hours away. Rouses Point is closer to five hours, which isn't impossible I suppose.

Of course, a Christmas Day trip would present its own issues as I'd either have to pack food or take the risk of finding places that are open.

I did drive a couple of times on Christmas and recall even finding an open Dunkin Donuts was easier said than done. Rightfully so, I might add.

So the whole exercise was literally a fun thing for my brain. As it is I need new tires and probably could use an oil change and, yeah, you can see where this is going.

But it was fun to think about.

No comments: