Sunday, December 26, 2021

In Awe

 

Photo: John Nash

John Nash is the once and forever co-conspirator of #Project365, which will soon hit three years. The idea was something I had considered for years and he supported and encouraged me to start and keep it going.

John texted me the picture at the top of this post earlier today. Taken in the Mall of America, it marks where home plate was at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, MN. The mall was built on the site of the stadium after the Twins and Vikings left for the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome following the 1981 season.

Eventually, the Twins moved to Target Field and the Vikings made their way to U.S. Bank Stadium.

Metropolitan Stadium reminds me of Fran Tarkenton and Alan Page and Harmon Killebrew and Rod Carew. I can see coach Bud Grant breathing steam on frigid days and Gene Mauch managing the Twins against the Yankees in the summer.

That's where John comes back in. It seems he decided to treat himself to a trip for Christmas. He booked a voyage to Minnesota to see his beloved Vikings in person. He's been posting updates on his Facebook page as well as posts at his great blog, The October Weekend.

I'm a combination of delighted, astounded, and a touch jealous (in a good-natured way). As someone whose favorite football team plays eight hours away (Pittsburgh, of course) and loves travel, I admire his level of whimsy and commitment to doing this for himself.

For the record, I haven't seen the Steelers in person since 2004 when I attended my only game at Heinz Field.

I try to have glimpses of this kind of spontaneity and yet that always level-headed side keeps me from doing such things.

"I can't afford it."

"The car isn't up to the trip."

"I have to be at home for (insert reason here)."

I've watched life go by.

I texted with both Kristy and Hector -- my niece and her husband, who live in North Carolina -- yesterday and each one said to me they'd love to fly me down there, especially if they'd known I was going to spend Christmas solo.

Hector still wants me to come down next weekend to watch college football with him, which we did once before when they were up here.

Still, there's always something. COVID, work, the cat, cost, Sean, etc. All are legit. All can also be answered of course.

I'm not saying I'm flying or jumping in the car to go to North Carolina next weekend but John's meander to Minneapolis reminded me that I need to start living again.

Actually, it was another reminder because I'm often yelling at myself about it.

Sean and I were talking the other night when he noted Pittsburgh -- a city he's never been to.

John's post came right back into my mind.

"We should go to a game in Pittsburgh," I said.

"That could be fun," Sean said.

He and I have conjured ideas over the years. I've wanted to take him on an Amtrak trip -- even if only to Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington, DC because he loves trains.

We've also talked about going back to the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I mean, it's three hours away. I haven't been in six years (heading for seven). Shame on me.

So go to the Hall of Fame.

Go on that Amtrak trip.

Go to the Haskell Library or Houlton, ME.

Go, Rob. You're waiting for something and it's time to stop!

More importantly, go John! I admire your ability to go on adventures and I think this is a great Christmas present.

Sadly, the sports gods do not care about such things. The Los Angeles Rams beat the Vikings, 30-23. The Vikings -- the Purple People Eaters -- dropped to 7-8 with the loss.

Fran Tarkenton asks for quiet at Metropolitan Stadium
as the Vikings host the Packers in 1976.

The Vikings are a team with a frustrating history, including four Super Bowl losses (including Super Bowl IX against Pittsburgh), and some absolutely gutwrenching defeats in the conference championship game. Don't talk to a Vikes fan about Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Gary Anderson, Brett Favre, or Blair Walsh.

Their fans are rabid and remarkable.

Today, John Nash was among them. Sorry for the loss. Happy for the trip.

Travel on, John!

As they say in Minnesota, "Skol Vikings!"

No comments: