Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Goodnight, Big Red

 

Greenwich head coach Tony Morello and the 2021 captains

Put the dishes away, friends.

Clean the silverware.

The banquet was tonight and Greenwich handed out the hardware.

The thing you want to know -- even if you don't realize it -- is who the 2022 captains are. As is tradition, they were named at the end of the evening.

To be quite sure, the ceremony was an Oscarsesque total of three hours and thirteen minutes but it was a delight to be there. I sat at a VIP table -- I'm hardly a VIP -- with wives of coaches plus the cheerleading coaches, the varsity cheer coaches boyfriend, and Erin Montague.

Who's Erin? How about "awesome?" I covered Erin as a varsity cheerleader and now, besides being an outstanding educator, she's director of football operations for Big Red. 

So what was initially an awkward table for me (because I felt sort of out of place) turned into a comfortable spot. OK, I initially just stood and watched for probably 45 minutes before I finally figured out where to sit.

The 2022 captains take their rightful place

Oh, so the captains. Well if you saw my Twitter feed then you know already. If not, well, they are Jake Kiernan, Domenic Deluca, Jack Wilson, and Matt Trimmer. A huge senior class is expected for the 2022 Cardinals and these captains will do an outstanding job.

Head coach Tony Morello (who told the crowd that I gave him his "Big Tone" nickname) spoke very kindly of Chris Erway and me. Speaking for Chris, I know we both appreciate every kind word. It was very humbling when a parent was talking to me and actually gasped when she realized who I was. Honestly, I don't have words for what that means to me.

I typed this into my iPhone. Always working!

But enough about that. The Cardinals will come back locked and loaded for 2022. It's a solid eight months before football is back for me.

Back to hockey tomorrow as Brunswick plays at 4 p.m.

"The A-Team" was used for teaching purposes at CSB earlier in the day.


No comments: