Monday, December 27, 2021

Thanks For Joining Me

 

Hey everybody! Look at the Rodecaster and P4!

Barring any changes, my 2021 game broadcast schedule is finished.

I'm already glancing at my next broadcast, which will likely be on Jan 4 or 5 for Brunswick.

Oh, I had thoughts about games to call this week and last. I reached out to Jeff Alterman to see if he wanted to do anything with Trumbull and his TEN Network.

We bounced a few ideas -- including a basketball tournament in Stratford -- but after talking with people there learned 1) they don't have wifi in the gym and 2) cell service is bad. Now, I called basketball there once before (a first-round playoff game between Greenwich and Stratford on Mar 6, 2006) but I don't recall if we had phone issues (my memory says yes).

So, given I would have called the game on my own dime, it didn't seem worth the gas and effort. We bailed.

I toyed with a few other things, including Greenwich's Winter Classic but, when I thought about it, there just seemed to be no reason, except me proving a point that has long been proven already. So I felt content to back off. Maybe next year.

My oh my but we've been down this road too many times. It's sad that many think they can just show up and do it and have the power to do so. All good. I'm fine.

Sure, I could probably call more games every year -- a lot more -- but the number just doesn't seem to be relevant. Yes, I'm super proud of every call -- all 137 this year, with well over 100 being solo calls -- but I'm also big on quality.

That 137, by the way, is a record, and I don't take it for granted, but...

It all just feels like an exercise in ego-stroking. I say I've done 137 games and someone will be compelled to say they did 150! 160! 200!

Show them a picture of the arena you worked in or the equipment you broadcast with and they'll always try to top you.

Nah. I'm good.

Quick side story, there's a guy who is always tooting his own horn on "the socials," especially in a group I belong to. He posts every positive review and comment he receives and, the other day, he posted his "broadcast channel" logo not once but TWICE! The logo makes it clear: 40 years!

Ick.

Anyway, I laughed about it with Shawn Sailer and Mike Hirn who both had the same reaction. Me...being me...I added to my existing Robcasting logo...

Original logo courtesy of AJ Szymanowski. Embellishment by me.

That's right! Robcasting for FOUR AND A HALF YEARS!

In other words, who cares? That and a couple of bucks get you a subway ride.

As for 2021, I busted my heart, soul, skull, butt, and sometimes my voice for every call. What I did and hope to do again doesn't work for everyone but it works for me. We've been through this. You show up with charts and pretty colors. I show up with a roster, a scorecard, my computer, and my brain.

I'll carry the memories of all the calls but I think I'd be happy to review them at another time. I'm proud of the work I did. I hope listeners and viewers are also.

A few weeks off isn't what I want but, in some ways, it is wise. For one thing, I had a chest cold and worried about my voice (I'm fine). For another, well, COVID part...er...what number are we up to? I can't help but wonder if maybe games should have taken these few weeks off as well but I respect those who keep everyone safe and smart.

These few weeks gave me a chance to deal with other things, including getting my trusty Zoom Podtrak P4 off to the manufacturer. As I type, I am the recipient of a new P4. The old one (less than a year old) was having dropouts and that's not ideal when broadcasting.

But I'll be right back under the headset in 2022. 

Same as always, I suppose.

No comments: