Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Adjustments


 

I was supposed to do hockey today.

Portledge at Brunswick at 4 p.m.

It was on my schedule. I was beginning to prepare my scoresheet and get ready for the game.

Then I got a text from Wayne McGillicuddy at Brunswick telling me there would be no game today.

It's postponed.

Now, Brunswick's winter schedules have presented some challenges this season. The biggest thing is that there are seven occasions where hockey and basketball are playing at, basically, the same time.

Wayne and I discussed it this week and decided I'd do hockey today, primarily because it's the only home hockey game before the end of 2021. We'd figure the rest out later on.

Fortunately, nobody had been put on the basketball broadcast so guess who called basketball today at 3:30?

But but but but but but...what about all of the hockey preparation? And how will I prepare for basketball?

My brethren say they need 20 hours (?!?) to prepare for a game!

Where oh where will they find time to create charts and graphs?

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "OK. Basketball it is."

I pulled up my basketball scoresheet and printed it. It's that easy.

I'd like to be one of these people who has 20 hours to prep for a game. I'm sometimes lucky to have 20 minutes. There's always something going on in life that I have to hustle to and, frankly, I'm OK with that.

I like that I can fly like this. 

While people are busy appointing themselves with fancy titles, I'm moving towards the next broadcast. Had Brunswick not worked out today, I had the chance to do another hockey game remotely and you know how that last one went! Actually, it went pretty well given I got those rosters minutes before faceoff.

As I moved around last night's Greenwich football banquet, people stopped and asked about me calling hockey and basketball at GHS. 

One person expressed shock to find out that, yes, I've done hockey and have since the late 90s. Specifically, I've done -- GASP! -- Greenwich hockey.

Same with basketball. In fact, I covered Greenwich hockey and basketball before I covered Greenwich football.

I kept grinding every year to get a couple of GHS hockey and hoops games on WGCH. Later on, we did a couple of games on HAN.

Heck, that's my voice on Greenwich's last FCIAC hockey championship win, in early 2016.

But players, coaches, boosters, and other factors change. 

So I went to the gym and called the Brunswick hoops game against Avon Old Farms. Brunswick won.

With that, it appears my 2021 schedule is done. I suppose there's always a chance that someone will ask me to jump in and I hope that's the case. I think a certain Mr. Sailer is going to try to get me off the couch for a couple of games.

But if it is over, it has been a wonderful year of games. Considering my first broadcast wasn't until February it was fairly remarkable. Of course, 61 of the games came from the Renegades.

So if that's it, thanks. Just thanks.

My heart is full of gratitude for all of it.

And hungry for more.

No comments: