Saturday, December 11, 2021

Just a Quiet Saturday

 


I'm just sitting at home.

Army-Navy is on TV. The cat is asleep on the nearby ottoman and I'm thinking about dinner.

In short, I think I'm staying completely out of trouble.

And yet? Trouble finds me.

OK, first to the Army-Navy Game. I LOVE this game. Like love, love, love it. I went once -- 1989 when Navy beat Army on a field goal at Giants Stadium. It was literally the coldest I have ever been at a sports event.

My dad was in the Army so I root for the Black Knights of the Hudson. West Point is also, essentially, a 45-minute ride from Mahopac so it's a hometown thing for me. Lastly, I have cousins who go to every game (and are today's game as we speak).

So, yes, Go Army. Beat Navy.

But about the trouble.

It's championship day in football in Connecticut.

It comes as no shock that I'm sitting in Mahopac, watching Army-Navy, talking to the cat, and pondering dinner. Unless I had the desire to cover the high school football games (and maybe hang out with Jeff Alterman in Trumbull), my Saturday would have other ideas.

Like Army-Navy, yada yada yada.

As I've mentioned, I tend to avoid broadcasts -- especially of certain games. But that doesn't stop those broadcasts from finding me.

Again -- out of principle -- I don't pay to watch these broadcasts for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean I don't get things texted to me.

Whether I want them or not.

So I've heard reviews of basically everything on the air, off the air, on the field, and off.

Look, I've said before that I'd be happy to call these games. As a parallel thought, I think the CIAC/NFHS is silly to insist on a monopoly on their stream since many broadcasters don't call the games for audio listeners. Thus an audio feed is needed for those running errands, etc.

Enter Robcasting or even, dare I say, WGCH.

If Connecticut, New York, etc want to talk, I'll talk. You know that drill by now.

Anyplace that I can call home!

Vin Scully never called a Super Bowl (and I'm not comparing myself to him). I've called several state championships (New York and Connecticut). Frankly, I'd have to look at how many. 

So I'm watching Army-Navy.

But...

"They desperately need you on the call."

Mike Hirn also tweeted that I should be doing these games (and so should Chris Erway, for that matter).

That's kind. I appreciate it.

But you reap what you sow friends.

So here I sit. The cat is snoring. Navy is winning 14-13 at the moment.

Chris Erway is seeing "Chicago" in New York with his lovely wife. 

I'm thinking about my next Brunswick call and if I can jump in for any public address work at Greenwich High School. I'm wondering about Greenwich girls hockey broadcasts and the Winter Classic.

The Renegades are in the back of my mind. I appreciate people worrying about that but I have no answers other than the press release and that I think it's a great thing.

I've moved on from high school football. Congratulations to Darien, Killingly, Maloney, and Cromwell/Portland. Worthy champions all and that's what matters. 

It's the athletes. It's the coaches. It's the game.

I'm just minding my own business.

No comments: