Sunday, December 05, 2021

Sunday Night in the Town of Carmel


 

I live in Mahopac, a hamlet of Carmel.

CAR-mull.

I'd end the post right there but I'm here for more tonight.

Apparently, those calling the state championship football game involving Carmel, NY couldn't pronounce it.

Such things happen, of course, and I'm hardly immune.

But it's CAR-mull.

Moving on.

Speaking of calling football, today was probably my final call until next August or September. Fairfield Prep beat Shelton to punch their ticket into the state championship game against Darein. To be blunt (or obnoxious) I feel like it wouldn't be the worst decision ever to put Chris Erway and me on the call next Saturday because...

1) We're not bad at what we do.

2) We're familiar with both schools, fan bases, towns, and teams.

3) We're fairly well-respected among both Darien and Fairfield Prep.

4) We know how to say "Carmel" (sorry, it was there)

Alas, I'll likely be doing other things next Saturday. Brunswick will be upon me soon with hockey and basketball, and I really need to remember wrestling as well, especially since Chris is great at broadcasting that.

Look, anyone who reads this blog knows how hung up I get on quality broadcasting (or lack thereof) especially when it comes to championships.

And that's basically all I have to say about that as I continue to try to curb my wicked ways which unilaterally get me in trouble.

While I'm continuing on the sports front (sorry, JoAnn) I saw the results of the Hall of Fame veterans committee voting and congratulate the new inductees. I'll lose no sleep over it but, in my opinion, we're heading towards "Oprah" territory where everyone can get a Hall of fame plaque.

The new electees are Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva, Bud Fowler, and Buck O’Neil. To never have to hear Mets and Dodgers fans whining about Gil Hodges again works just fine for me.

And yet? Take a look at the life and career of one John Donaldson and explain to me why he didn't earn election today.

How Dick Allen didn't make it is beyond me. I was hoping for Allie Reynolds also but wasn't holding my breath.

Also, while I'm at it, I'm going to catch a little grief here but what else is new? I love Roger Maris. Adore Roger Maris. I tear up every time I watch him hit his 61st either in old films or in the movie "61*."

Roger Maris had his number retired by the Yankees in 1984. He has a plaque in Monument Park. Many see him as the "true" single-season home run king.

Roger didn't get voted into the Hall today and, frankly, I'm OK with that. My Hall of Fame is a tough place to get into. I totally recognize Roger's contributions to baseball. I know what a good man he was. I know he died far too young. I know he caught grief from fans for approaching Babe Ruth's record in 1961 and then for not living up to the 61 homers after that.

I truly admire the man.

But my Hall of Fame is truly elite. 

My Hall of Fame tells the story of the game. I put Pete Rose and Bary Bonds and Roger Clemens and A-Rod in my Hall of Fame and I tell the truth on their plaques. I don't let Pete make a speech upon his induction. I also get Shoeless Joe Jackson in my Hall of Fame.

I tell the truth because the truth is messy and there are messy players in there already. If you don't think steroids users are already in the Hall of Fame, well, Santa will be visiting in a few weeks.

Oh, incidentally, can we finally stop spreading lies about Ty Cobb? He wasn't as bad as he was made out to be. But I digress.

Lastly, Ben Roethlisberger might retire after this season which is the least surprising thing I've heard. Big Ben can leave with his head high, having won two Super Bowls and being the second greatest quarterback in Steelers history. 

Let the haters hate. People are still innocent until proven guilty. Kobe Bryant is a fine example of that.

As we say goodnight from the Town of Carmel, play this for your own personal seventh-inning stretch. It's the great new Hall of Famer Buck O'Neil singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" from the "Baseball" documentary in 1994.

Let it bring a smile to your face.


No comments: