Saturday, December 25, 2021

So...This is Christmas

 

What might have been: Vin Scully and John Madden

In the end, circumstances kept my Christmas quiet.

Honestly, it's been fine. Nice, even.

I didn't sleep well last night (probably too excited for Santa's arrival) so I actually fell asleep at one point during the day.

Otherwise, I watched a lot of TV, talked to The Cat*, texted and messaged with many, and (at times) forgot it was Christmas.

I'm not a "Crazy Cat Person." Honest.

I also still have plenty of food from the magical elf.

Honestly, I'm fine. 

Also honestly, it's easy to forget that it's Christmas.

The highlight, for me, was the absolutely tremendous tribute to John Madden that aired on FOX.

Now, to be honest, John hates the Steelers. Literally, that's a fact. That didn't come across via his broadcasting but even now, 49 years later, he still moans about the Immaculate Reception.

If you don't know, Madden was on the losing end of that greatest play in NFL history. Also, Steelers/Raiders was a fierce rivalry in the 70s.

Additionally, Madden was a CBS guy mostly doing NFC games. I was an NBC guy, adoring the team of Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen as they did mostly AFC games.

Lastly among Madden's early partners was a guy mostly known for his baseball play-by-play who had a chance to be Big John's CBS partner. Guy named Scully. Pat Summerall was chosen to be Madden's partner instead. In the end, it all worked out fine.

Incidentally, the guy who told Scully that he wasn't getting the Madden partnership (and, thus, Super Bowl calls) was Terry O'Neil. Mr. O'Neil's son Liam was the starting quarterback at Greenwich High School and I got to know them.

But back to the Madden special. For me, it felt like so much of my life watching football went by my eyes. It reminded me of the NFL I fell in love with. I knew of the early 70s of Madden's Raiders and the Dolphins and the Cowboys and so on.

Then I came into my own with Madden, Merlin, Montana, Marino, and the 80s.

I watched a ton of games with Madden on the call, including his very last game, when Ben Roethlisberger threw a dime to Santonio Holmes on the side of the end zone in Tampa in Super Bowl XLIII. It was bliss for me and time for John to step away.

He's 85 now and has lived a fascinating life as one of the most important people in NFL history. The special made it clear just how truly beloved he is, in case it needed to be said.

He's a national treasure. No question.

The show was spectacular. If you love the NFL -- I mean, truly love and appreciate its history -- find a way to watch it.

Christmas, 2021 had unique circumstances. In the end, I want everyone to get well and be good to each other.

Let's eradicate COVID or get it under control.

And with that, Christmas is over.

No comments: