Thursday, December 22, 2022

Surviving the Season



Every December -- in fact, every fall -- I have this urge to just disappear.

As I've written before, "'tis the season" isn't my bag. I'm content to go away from roughly Thanksgiving until January 2 or 3.

While not a beach bum I often thought an island mostly cut off from the world would be the way to go. Given I find that completely unrealistic for me, I've often thought I'd go hang with my North Carolina family or something else. They've also said the door is always open for me to do so.

'Tis not happening this year and, honestly, it's OK. I'm pretty content at home. Sean is here and we'll hang out until Christmas morning when he heads back to New York.

Christmas Eve used to mean a bit more with an annual family get-together but that eventually came to an end. Sean and I normally watch a movie and have dinner at home. We haven't discussed movie options for this year but we'll figure something out.

It's gotten easier but those days of dropping Sean off early on Christmas morning and doing whatever the day had in store for me were sad. There were years when I'd actually do something fun on Christmas but I'd be missing him. But, like everything else, I made the best of it, though I'll acknowledge spending Christmas totally alone a few times wasn't the most fun I've ever had.

I've said it before: the holidays are a difficult time for many for a variety of reasons. Thus my desire to be anywhere but here. Yet, this year doesn't quite have that feeling of awfulness.

And still, I wouldn't mind being in a car off to somewhere on Sunday.

That's not going to happen this year and, as I said, I'm OK with it. While Sean won't be with me, I'll still get to see my sister and members of her family. There will be food and drinks and laughs.

But, when it comes right down to it, I'm the single uncle. But, no point in wallowing.

Still, I write it often at this time of year, just make sure people are OK. Check on them. We miss lost loved ones or have financial hardships or are just lonely or something else. There are often people who think this stuff is made up but, having dealt with some of these emotions, it's quite real.

So cut them some slack if they want to hide.

I'm not trying to do that this year.

We're all just trying to make the best of it.

No comments: