Saturday, March 27, 2021

There's no jinx

 

Fox Sports, 2013. Ogando soon lost the no-no

This is my third attempt to write a post tonight.

The first one was too vague and I didn't want to do that.

The second attempt was less vague. Nope, that didn't work.

The third attempt erased everything and went with a whole different topic.

The real topic involves broadcasting and contracts and bias and a lack of quality and the likelihood that my head might explode.

*****

Have I mentioned that broadcaster jinxes are utterly stupid?

The question was asked today on the play-by-play page on Facebook: "What is everyone's opinion on the broadcaster jinx when it comes to a no-hitter or perfect game?"

As usual the high and mighty got high and mighty. To them, there's only the right way (that is to say their way).

To me, there's what I do. That's what is right for me.

When it comes to no-hitters (and perfect games), I follow the lead of my idol, Mr. Scully. I call it as I see it.

I believe in reporting what I see. If there's a no-hitter, it's my responsibility. Your mileage may vary.

This does not mean I'm right.

Now there's a certain nuance to this. I have to report it. That's my job. But I'd prefer to do it while out of earshot of the players I'm covering.

Still, this topic once led to a lengthy discussion between me, Jake Zimmer, Dan Gardella, and Shawn Sailer. We were in Trumbull, CT calling the 2017 Babe Ruth New England Regional Tournament. Jake, by his own admission, would have once avoided saying what was going on.

In fact, he said so today.

"I always believed in the jinx," he wrote. "Rob Adams, who’s mentored me for years, convinced me otherwise. It admittedly took a while."

Thanks for the kind words, Jake. I hate the whole jinx thing but many -- led by Vin Scully -- have taught me well. Of course, Vin called 23 no-nos and perfectos and always said those magic words.

But I've also listened to and watched countless others.

We have no impact. None. Zip. Zero.

But...the other side will tell you we do.

I can tell you about Rob Futia, an outstanding Greenwich Cardinal from years ago. Rob was a very good free show shooter and I noted that on the air.

I explained that he had hit 51 in a row (I think that was it).

And then?

He missed the next one.

His mother was not amused and walked straight across the floor after the game to me.

I laughed. Awkwardly. 

She did not.

When I talked to Rob Futia about it, his reaction was typical for him.

"You didn't jinx me," he said. "I should have made it."

And that's the thing. We don't have a say. If we did, wouldn't we make the team we work for win a lot more? That's good for our wallets.

Anyway, there's no jinx. At least in my opinion.

And that's probably all I want to say about broadcasting tonight.

There are 45 days until the Renegades' home opener.

No comments: