Monday, March 22, 2021

Nissan

 


We interrupt the moments of deep thoughts that I've been producing since Friday to give off some slight rage.

I say "slight" because I know there are those who look away when this happens while others find it like an accident at the side of the road. They want to stop looking but can't. Then we have those who love the "Rob rants."

Not many go for the "don't care" category.

Anyway, and yes, I realize I have been fairly profound and I will explain more in due time.

I bought another Nissan -- my third since 2015 -- last June.

I will tell you that I really haven't been thrilled with any of those buying experiences and the cars have been...fine.

But the one I turned in back in June -- the definition of why I shouldn't do a lease -- set me up over mileage along with some slight damage due to something that kicked up on 95 and hit the quarter panel. Plus there was the time the tree fell on it.

Still, as the dealer explained to me, "talk with Nissan when you get the bill and tell them about your extenuating circumstances (transporting Mom, COVID, etc). That might (read: should) help.

I waited for a bill that didn't arrive.

Suddenly, by the end of July, I received a letter saying I'd been placed in collections and started receiving phone calls from a Georgia-based phone number.

One other thing to know: there was a previous financial issue in late 2017 with the car because a particular place I worked for had stopped paying me and, as such, I couldn't pay for the car.

That place still owes me money for unpaid invoices. Not a small amount either. I've tried to settle and they've ignored me. 

You can connect the dots as to which former employer it is.

But back to Nissan.

So, if you're keeping score, no letter appeared and I've been placed in collections, and they wouldn't work with me on future loans in the first place (note that I paid every last drop of the 2017 issue off within a month and was in good standing for the rest of the loan). Then phone calls start?

Then my mother dies.

Yeah. Eff Nissan by then.

I let the calls go for months until finally, I wrote Nissan a letter. The collections agency -- while the messengers -- can go to a special place in purgatory but we can circle back to them.

I explained every portion of what had gone on during the ownership of that car and how 2020 had impacted me. I discussed transporting my mother to and from dialysis three and four times a week, thus adding more miles. I explained that I was, essentially, her caregiver, especially in 2020. I further called their business practices "inexcusable," especially so callously putting customers into collections in a pandemic.

From there, I mentioned how their dealers had been a nightmare (one, in particular, in Connecticut? Oh yeah.)

I made it clear -- I was done with them and I have no problem telling friends, family, readers, and listeners that. Will it have an impact? I'm doubtful but we miss 100% of the balls that we don't sing at right?

Sometimes we still miss when we swing the bat but that's not the point. 

I finished with this:

Should you or your agency try to phone me, please have the decency to leave a voicemail as I do not respond to phone numbers that I don’t know. I’m only aware of your agency calling me having done a reverse lookup and seeing the sheer disgusting volume of calls originating from the Atlanta, GA area.

Thank you for your time. I hope you have survived your own experience through this pandemic.

I mailed it on Feb 16 and received a new bill -- direct from Nissan -- last Friday. They had revised the dollar amount with no explanation. No acknowledgment of anything. Just a bill that appeared to be reduced by 25%.

Figuring it was time to stop the battle, I went straight to my computer and paid it electronically.

Then I promised myself I would answer the phone the next time the collections agency called.

Which was today at approximately 1 p.m.

Through gritted teeth, I answered the call. The first person -- a girl -- started with the presentation.

"I suggest you talk to Nissan as that bill was paid (on Friday)," I told her. She said I had to speak to a representative.

Were they just trying to make my head pop?

So the rep  -- a guy -- got on the call immediately. He, too, began with the "May I speak with" nonsense, reminding the call would be monitored, and he needed to confirm my address and date of birth ("Just the month and year').

"I suggest you talk to Nissan as that bill was paid (on Friday)," I told him. From there I had to explain how I paid.

Now, mind you, they KNEW Nissan had sent me a new bill because they called me with the revised dollar amount.

Niceties finished. Call completed. Transaction done.

I told them I would be pleased to provide proof of my payment -- I can easily get screenshots and the email that confirmed the details.

"We'll call if we need anything else," he said but was certain the transaction would be posted.

You do that. Call back. Try it.

I owned two Hondas from 1995-2014 and loved them both.

My mother was thrilled with three Toyotas in the last years of her life.

But it will take a lot to get me near a Nissan again.

Never say never but I know what I would prefer and I'll make sure to keep telling this story.

No comments: