Sunday, March 07, 2021

The cross-ice pass

 


I lost one hockey game this weekend. It's the world of making a schedule during a pandemic.

Still, I'll begin a run of four games in five days tomorrow, armed with a new mask and a new podcast mixer. I'm looking forward to getting to the rink and trying it all out.

The shame of it is that I've never figured out how to split myself or even clone myself.

I say that because my friends at Fairfield Prep asked me to call a game this week. I thought Alumni Hall would be closed but, low and behold, a quick check of the schedule indicates there's still basketball to be played there.

Alumni Hall means a lot to me, having called my first games there 20 years ago. I've enjoyed many trips to it where the crowds had few people and too many people. I got to call games from multiple angles and corners and saw as much of it as I could.

I'll always treasure it from calling games for WGCH, HAN, and Robcasting.

There is at least one more game there and I would have been honored to have helped turn out the lights. I'm profoundly grateful to the parents of Fairfield Prep basketball for asking.

However, I'm just as happy to have Brunswick hockey throughout the week. Of course, COVID has taught us all to be prepared for changes and there have been several.

But I'll happily be at Hartong Rink tomorrow, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday calling the Bruins. As of now, these are the final games of the season for them.

There's still plenty of conference tournament action around Connecticut and I hope to jump on some of that. If not, then I'll await baseball and softball and lacrosse.

I'll start tomorrow by pulling whatever I can together about the game and get ready for a busy week.

I'll also work on my cloning device.

No comments: