Saturday, March 06, 2021

Some spontaneous Saturday thoughts

 

Comfy and easy to breathe in (*Not a paid endorsement)

As the picture shows, I did get a new mask.

We'll get to that.

I didn't know what today would be. I thought I'd have company and do some cleaning and generally hang around the house with Rascal.

I was on the hunt for something else when I saw a link pop up to a small podcasting mixing unit called a Zoom PodTrak P4.

A short time back I had a Rodecaster Pro that Dan Macom let me borrow. Well, actually, I thought I was going to buy it from him but we never sealed that deal. He asked for it back a few weeks ago and, at the same time, showed me the PodTrak, which he explained was basically as good as the Rodecaster for far less.

"You might want this," he said, probably to soften the blow of losing the Rodecaster.

I took those words to heart.

Flash forward to today as I'm looking around Amazon. At the same time, I was trying to see if the Under Armour mask could be found locally, given I am starting a weeklong run of games on Monday.

As I looked the PodTrak over, I did my usual due diligence of trolling for prices and details and comparisons to the Rodecaster. Pretty standard for me.

I came across some solid prices -- much less than the actual retail price (Bob Barker, anyone?). Was I really going to do this? I kept arguing with myself while explaining all the ways this was smart -- especially given the number of podcasts I'm now doing.

Of course, anything would need to be worthy for radio also and Robcasting/streaming.

Oh yes, this would do quite nicely.

Every reason worked fantastically -- space-saver, works with my laptop, great for podcasts (obviously), even as a remote if I'm out recording an interview, it's battery-powered, etc.

Great for Hunt Scanlon and "Talent Talks." Great for "The Owner's Box Horse Racing Podcast." Great for "Tales From the Booth" (currently on life support/hiatus). Great for "Doubleheader" and Local Live at Brunswick and I felt like this was a winner.

Still, that rational side argued with me. Then I saw that I could get one, below-cost!, at Alto Music in Middletown, NY. Free shipping. In fact, no shipping! I could go pick it up myself and Middletown (in Orange County) isn't a terrible drive from Mahopac.

But could I get it...as in today? Could I be THAT spontaneous?

I went for it. I was told that I'd have to wait 2-4 hours for further instructions.

Always planning (#prepared), I had my marching orders. I'd start out and head towards Woodbury Commons, where there is an Under Armour "outlet" store. 

(Incidentally, masks are also available at Dicks Sporting Goods. Think they had any at the location ten minutes away from me? Nah.)

Woodbury Commons, if you don't know, is basically a tourist destination. It is the Taj Mahal of outlet centers in the world. It opened in 1985 and used to be a frequent destination for me. I knew it inside and out, including the key as to when to go there. One proceeds carefully when going there because the crowds can be crazy.

I'm not kidding that it's a tourist destination. Think Disney World of outlet shopping, with a veritable United Nations of different languages. I've been going there for 35 years. It's absolutely true.

Still, I was undaunted. I jumped in the car and made the drive to Woodbury Common which is on the way to Alto Music in Middletown (again, preparation). I could buy time walking around the outlets before trekking to Alto for the P4. That would give Alto Music time to process the order and have it waiting for me.

Shockingly, despite an overflowing parking lot near the Under Armour store, I lucked into a parking spot and strolled right in. A girl near the front door helped me pick out the right-sized mask.

I'll hopefully never buy a more expensive one (and I have two pretty cool other handmade ones on the way -- one Yankees and one Steelers!). But, I will say, my breathing was much better as I walked around and while my glasses fogged a bit, they weren't that bad. Thanks, Jeff Alterman, for your $.02 on it also.

Last night was bad, folks. I'd like to avoid that again.

With that done, I took a long walk past all 220 stores (I counted...OK, I didn't). I stopped in a couple but mostly marveled at how cold it was and how people stood in line to get into stores like Nike and other high-end places.

I also did some people watching. Some show up as if they're dressed for an event while others -- on a windy, cold day, were dressed like it was summer. Ah, people. 

The place has changed a lot over the years but I also recognized plenty of it.

But it was cold and I had what I wanted. I had wasted enough time.

Still, I didn't get the email that the P4 was waiting for me. I kept checking the website and the order said "processing."

I told myself to enjoy the journey. Today was my day. Sean was gone and, otherwise, I'd be home. It was good to be out and do something like this. It was good for my brain.

I meandered towards Middletown. A few side roads here, and NY Route 17 there. I made my way into Middletown where I found the Alto Music location, just next to the Orange County Fairgrounds.

Put a pin in that. We'll return to it.

I walked in, gearing up to look like a dope (nothing new).  I planned the conversation:

"Hi, I just wondered if my order was ready."

"Did you get a confirmation?"

"No."

"Then it's not ready. You'll have to come back another day. We don't process it on the weekend."

Er. No. That's not how it went. It took a few minutes but I was otherwise quickly helped and assured that, yes, while it hadn't been processed, someone just needed to give it a thumbs-up. In total, I was in the store for maybe 15 minutes before I strolled out.

With my new toy in hand, I began making my way home, passing some of the myriad shopping destinations in the area.

Oh, but about Orange County Fairgrounds? Well, I suppose that will always be sacred ground to me, and it looks much like it did on a summer night in 1985, for that's where I saw Huey Lewis and the News for the first time. The bleachers that I sat in are still there and it looks quite familiar. Not a lot has changed.

They opened with "The Power of Love" (it had just come out) and closed with "Back in Time" (after all, "Back to the Future" was still in theatres). I was already a fan. Then I saw them and everything was cemented. I was blown away.

I digress.

Can of seltzer and MacBook sold separately

I came home, played around with the new P4, saw how everything worked (pretty great, I might add), and think I got something I'll like a lot.

"This was a smart purchase," I kept telling myself. "It's a good investment."

An investment in my "business," whatever that might be. 

With the money I saved by not buying a Rodecaster, I could invest in a new headset (oh how I want a good one) and other items. Plus, the day of a new computer is fast approaching.

The infrastructure of Robcasting, I suppose.

I get to try the Zoom PodTrak P4 out Monday night for Brunswick hockey at 5 p.m. That's why I wanted it today.

Oh, don't worry, my bag is packed with a backup mixer just in case. Again, always prepared.

That's why I decided to be so spontaneous (including the mask).

And today was a worthwhile investment in me.

No comments: