Friday, August 16, 2013

And So, Seven Years Later

I overheard someone before, talking about a prospective writer, essentially knock the fact that the writer in question had - GASP - a blog.
Oh, the humanity.  For the love of all writers gone before us.

Steinbeck. Willie Shakespeare. Woodward.  Bernstein.  Bradlee.  Breslin.  Faulkner.  Joyce.  Silverfarb!  My GOD! These great writers and reporters are either rolling in the graves (if they've died) or wagging their fingers at us scourges of the keyboard (or pen and paper).

Perhaps little do they know that, here, in this space, is a blogger.  A guy who started doing that very thing seven years ago tomorrow.

I understand the point.  Bloggers aren't initially considered to be the very bastion of great writers and reporters.

On the other hand, there are plenty of "us" who have put together very respectable efforts.  Some are even quite exceptional.  In some areas, bloggers have worked so doggedly that they've outpaced their "professional" counterparts.

Indeed, the line has blurred.  Many blogs have gone to a professional, paid level.

Around here, many will say that "Exit 55" is the very thing that began to drive me to where I'm sitting right now, as a - ahem - "professional writer and reporter."

This blog, this unholy area of awfulness, is one way that I've built a network of friends, combined with my work at WGCH.

Look, I'm not taking offense at what I overheard.  I laughed at it.  I understand the point of view, but it's also "new school" versus "old school."  It's also perhaps a bit of a erudite position.

In that regard, some would say blogs themselves are becoming passe and old school.  It's a debate I wage consistently with myself, and makes me wonder often if it's time to stroll away from here.

I've said it before: when I started doing "Exit 55" in 2006, several friends were actively writing.  A few more would crop up as the years went along.  Virtually every one of them has either stopped completely or backed off for a hiatus.

I guess my point is that the end will come eventually.

But, as of this moment, not now.

It's so fleeting though, isn't it?  We ride this intense roller coaster of emotions.  I admire the person who can stay so even-keeled, and not hit the highs or lows.  I wish I could be that person.

Simply put: I'm not.

Before we run, that whole "old school" versus "new school" debate brings me to baseball.  The game has now decided to enter challenges into a manager's bag of tricks.  Look, baseball needs replay, largely because we have smart phones and Hi-Def TV's that bring us - in "living color" as they used to say on NBC - the rash of umpire errors that go on daily.  I keep thinking a war room will be great, just as the NHL has, but to hand it off to umpires to have a number of challenges just doesn't fly with me.

Overall, I'm old school, but I get with the times.  We don't need teams to go back to riding the rails or wearing wool uniforms.  The designated hitter is fine and, why I would love to see consistency, it's just not going to happen.  It's one of the quirks of baseball, in that we have two professional leagues under one umbrella.

That would be another thing that Uncle Bud Selig screwed up with interleague play.

I think there needs to be a better answer than challenges.

I guarantee that this system - if it passes - will eventually be altered.

No comments: