Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Rob the Vote

I just voted.  I drove a few minutes up Secor Road, stood on a short line with my mother in front of me, stepped to my little desk, marked my ballot, put it in the machine, and drove home.

Easy peezy lemon squeazy.

WHOM I voted for doesn't matter (it does, but not in regard to this post).  To be honest, I picked from both sides of the aisle.  With the exception of one year (and that still bothers me), I've voted in every annual election since just before my 19th birthday.  It's a right that I enjoy and utilize.

I don't care if you go to your polling place and write in "Snooki" for President.  Honestly, although there are inherent problems with that, it's your vote.  Simply go and vote.  It's not that hard.

Now, that being said, it's not that easy this year either, certainly in the metro NY area, with many thanks to Sandy.  Many polling places are dealing with the impact of the super storm.  New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has said that residents can vote anywhere this year, with restrictions, but the idea is to get people out to have their voice heard, at least at the state and national levels.

Once today is done, we can, thankfully, move on.  There is such a chasm that exists in our society, and it is sickening.  I will probably be on social media later today so that I can get a sense of the mood for my reports on WGCH tonight (8:00), but I think I would rather just disappear for the day.  As I've said before, what happened in 2008 made me bitter, against friends, the media, etc.  It was a bad day, in my mind.  The rhetoric was foolish, and I've seen some of that same stuff again.

I mean, to be honest, can't we just get along?  Really?

I hope whomever wins the big race puts us on the path to being a better society.  Emotionally.  Spiritually.  Financially.

The people will be heard from.  The commercials and phone calls will stop.

And we'll move forward.

No comments: