Friday, November 02, 2012

It's All Fair


Criticism is a part of life.  In broadcasting, it's fair game.  As it is, I offer criticism here often - about stations, format, personalities, and more.

I expect it, and take it with a grain of salt.  I always consider it, and then decide if it 's worth addressing.

But if it's not correct, well, that's just not right.  And I'll call you out on it.

I just read a post from a Greenwich blogger (not posting or linking it here) that had a cutie little snarky nickname for what "WGCH" stands for.  In his criticism, he derided us for being off the air since Sunday, among other things.

Hmmm.  Unless I'm wrong, I recall being on the radio Monday night.  My neck hurt from sleeping on the floor.  I witnessed the rain and watched the trees bend in the wind.  Yep, I was there and we were on the air.  It was mighty real.

But, according to this critic, we were off. 

We were there, and the reviews have been quite positive.  I've received emails and heard from others about the job we did.  Not patting myself on the back; just stating the story, and defending ourselves.

Now, did we lose power?  Yes - at 10:30 Monday night, right around the time where we weren't sure what more there was to say.  We all wanted to be right back on the air each subsequent day.  But we were hardly the only station to lose power in the impacted storm area.  In fact, this post from Stop the Cap includes information from NorthEast Radio Watch that indicates just how widespread the damage was for the broadcasting business.

Again, criticism is fair game, and often warranted.

But make sure you know what you're talking about.

UPDATE: After an exchange with the blogger, an amendment has been made.  I appreciate his willingness to discuss this and recognize the error.

No comments: